Are fumes from burned rubber bands toxic?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rubber
In summary: If the rubber band is still on the heating element, it will be very difficult to clean and you may end up causing a fire. Use water to clean and then turn off the heat.
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I might have accidentally cooked a rubber band in my rice cooker. Is it still safe to use?
Hi everyone

I think I might have cooked a rubber band that got stuck to the bottom of the bowl of my rice cooker. The rice didn't smell of fumes, and I ate it before noticing the burned bit on the bottom of the bowl. I'm not sure it's a rubber band, but it was very sticky and not crispy like burned rice would be.

I've managed to remove most, but not all of the burned bit from the bowl and heating element of the cooker. Is my rice cooker safe to use again or should I just buy a new one?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My wife (the family expert on this matter) says that she would scrape it off with a razor blade and clean it.

I would be tempted to heat it up to cook off any residue as well.

YES.

Note, I saw just the question of the subject. That is what I answered; not the discussion part of your post.

Note too, I saw further posts; excuse me for my toxicology knowledge being only very simplistic.

Last edited:
With specific regard to the fumes, basic rubber is an isoprene polymer. The combustion products include CO (carbon monoxide). However, to paraphrase Paracelsus (1538): only the dose makes the poison. One rubber band worth of CO will do nothing. And incidental ingestion of the charred remnants of one rubber band is very unlikely to have consequences.

Thanks. The heating element has grooves, so it'll be hard to completely remove the rubber. I think I'll try cook off the rest just to be sure.

Likes jim mcnamara
Try this ONLY if you are working on metal surfaces!
Heat to above the boiling point of water. Drop or spray water on it, a very small amount is needed. The steam explosion will remove just about anything organic.
Avoid any glass, ceramic, or porcelain, it can shatter.

It's the combination of the high reactivity of steam, the mechanical shock of the steam flash-vaporizing, and the sudden dimensional change of the metal when cooled.

Also highly recommended for cleaning ovens without the usual chemicals. Using a pump squirt bottle to hit the crusty buildup works well in a 350F (175C) oven, the hotter the better. Turn off the heat before squirting.
Be sure to avoid any electrical heating elements, the thermal shock is hard on them.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Got major points with my wife when I told her about this method.

Cheers. Thanks

Yes rubberband fumes are toxic
Do not intentionally inhale them

Related to Are fumes from burned rubber bands toxic?

1. Are fumes from burned rubber bands toxic?

Yes, the fumes from burned rubber bands can be toxic. When rubber bands are burned, they release a variety of chemicals and compounds into the air, including carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and hydrogen cyanide. These substances can be harmful if inhaled in large quantities.

2. What are the potential health effects of inhaling fumes from burned rubber bands?

Inhaling fumes from burned rubber bands can irritate the respiratory system and cause symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Prolonged exposure to these fumes can also lead to more serious health issues, such as lung damage and respiratory illnesses.

3. How can I protect myself from the toxic fumes of burned rubber bands?

The best way to protect yourself from the toxic fumes of burned rubber bands is to avoid burning them in the first place. If you must burn rubber bands, make sure to do so in a well-ventilated area and wear a mask to reduce your exposure to the fumes.

4. Are there any safe ways to dispose of rubber bands?

Yes, there are several safe ways to dispose of rubber bands. You can recycle them, reuse them for other purposes, or simply throw them away in the trash. Burning rubber bands should be avoided as it can release toxic fumes into the environment.

5. Can burning rubber bands release harmful chemicals into the environment?

Yes, burning rubber bands can release harmful chemicals into the environment. These chemicals can pollute the air and contribute to air pollution. It is important to properly dispose of rubber bands to prevent these harmful substances from entering the environment.