Are A and B subsets of R \ {0}?

• Thread starter foreverdream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of "&" meaning "belong to," "#" meaning "not equal to," and "$" meaning "subsets of." It also introduces the sets A and B, where A is defined as {(t-1, 1/t): t&R, t # 0} and B is defined as {(x,y) &R^2:y=1/(x+1), x#-1}. The conversation then discusses the process of proving B$A, where it is necessary to show that the range of the (x,y) in B lies in that of (x,y) in A. This is done by showing that both sets are subsets of the real numbers without 0, and
foreverdream
& means belong to and # not equal to : $ subsets of

A={(t-1,1/t): t&R, t # 0}
B= {(x,y) &R^2:y=1/(x+1), x#-1}

i started by say A$B

let x= t-1 and y=1/t
so we have y= 1/(t-1)+
= Y=1/t hence A$B
to prove B$A
is where i am stuck- as I think I have got my first part wrong anyway and I ma not sure if I have to make reference to x#-1 ot t#0

this is a fairy new topic for me and I am finding it bit abstract!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
foreverdream said:
& means belong to and # not equal to : $ subsets of

A={(t-1,1/t): t&R, t # 0}
B= {(x,y) &R^2:y=1/(x+1), x#-1}

i started by say A$B

let x= t-1 and y=1/t
so we have y= 1/(t-1)+
= Y=1/t hence A$B
to prove B$A
is where i am stuck- as I think I have got my first part wrong anyway and I ma not sure if I have to make reference to x#-1 ot t#0

this is a fairy new topic for me and I am finding it bit abstract!

Thanks

Hey foreverdream and welcome to the forums.

For the B$A you just have to show that the range of the (x,y) in B lies in that of (x,y) of A. So for the x you know that for (t-1), then t != 0 which means t != -1 which is the same for B. Since the structure is the reals you have shown that since x is a real and the reals are a subset of the reals then you have done it for x. (Its a property that A is a subset of A for any set A and its only a couple of lines to show this)

Based on the above hint, can you see how to prove it for the y coordinate?

so if I understand it correctly:
we must show that (x,y) belongs to B
but lost completely on t! part

Last edited:
let t-1=x and then y=1/(x+1) = 1/(t-1)+1 = 1/t
so (x,y)=(t-1, 1/t) hence A=B ? where does t! fit in-?

foreverdream said:
let t-1=x and then y=1/(x+1) = 1/(t-1)+1 = 1/t
so (x,y)=(t-1, 1/t) hence A=B ? where does t! fit in-?

You have to show that in the second B$A part of your 2-tuple (the y coordinate), that all the values for this are inside.

I think you know intuitively what to do, but I don't think its formal enough. For your A set in the second part of your 2-tuple you have 1/t where t != 0 and for B you have 1/(x+1) where x != -1. So we know that t != 0 and x + 1 != 0 => x != -1 so that means there is nothing disjoint in those two sets. This is important because if there is anything disjoint then there is no way of subsets happening.

After that you who that that both are subsets of R \ {0} and since A is always a subset of A you have proven it for the 2-tuple (the y part).

In terms of making the above more formal you can show that both parts of the two tuple are the set R \ {0} (This just means the real numbers without 0). Once you do this then you use the subset argument listed above to complete the proof.

You shouldn't have to get any more formal than that.

Related to Are A and B subsets of R \ {0}?

1. How do you prove two sets are equal?

Two sets are equal if they have the same elements. To prove this, you can show that every element in one set is also in the other set, and vice versa. This can be done using set notation or by showing specific examples of elements from each set.

2. What is the difference between proving two sets are equal and proving two sets are equivalent?

Proving two sets are equal means that they have the exact same elements. Proving two sets are equivalent means that they have the same number of elements and the elements have a one-to-one correspondence. For example, the sets {1, 2, 3} and {a, b, c} are equivalent because there is a clear correspondence between the elements (1 corresponds to a, 2 corresponds to b, etc.), but they are not equal because the actual elements are different.

3. Can two sets be equal if they have different orders?

Yes, two sets can be equal even if they have different orders. This is because the order of elements does not affect the equality of sets. For example, the sets {1, 2, 3} and {3, 1, 2} are equal because they have the same elements, even though the order is different.

4. Is proving two sets are equal the same as proving two sets have the same cardinality?

Proving two sets are equal means they have the same elements. Proving two sets have the same cardinality means they have the same number of elements. These are not necessarily the same thing, as two sets can have the same number of elements but not be equal. For example, the sets {1, 2, 3} and {4, 5, 6} both have three elements, but they are not equal.

5. What are some common methods for proving two sets are equal?

One common method for proving two sets are equal is by using the definition of set equality, which states that two sets are equal if they have the same elements. Another method is by using set operations, such as showing that the intersection and union of the two sets are equal. Additionally, you can use mathematical proofs, such as by using the transitive property or by contradiction, to show that the two sets are equal.