Archimede's law and helium help

In summary, to find the volume of a helium balloon knowing the densities of air and helium and the lift in Newtons, one can apply Archimede's law to get the ratio between the lift and the product of the difference between the densities and the gravitational acceleration. However, this may result in a very large answer.
Haftred
Suppose I knew the densities of air and helium and I make a helium balloon. If I know the lift (in Newtons), how can I find the volume of the balloon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Haftred said:
Suppose I knew the densities of air and helium and I make a helium balloon. If I know the lift (in Newtons), how can I find the volume of the balloon?

Aplly Archimede's law correctly.U should be getting the ratio between the lift and the product between the difference of densities and the gravitational acceleration.

Do you mean Lift/(g(d2 - d1)) That gives a very large answer.

Last edited:

Related to Archimede's law and helium help

1. What is Archimede's law?

Archimede's law, also known as the principle of buoyancy, states that the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. This explains why objects float or sink in fluids.

2. How does Archimede's law relate to helium?

Archimede's law applies to all fluids, including gases like helium. When a helium balloon is released, the helium inside is less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to rise due to the upward force of buoyancy.

3. Why is helium used in balloons?

Helium is used in balloons because it is a very light gas, making it less dense than air and able to provide the necessary upward force for the balloon to float. It is also non-toxic and non-flammable, making it a safe choice for balloons.

4. How does helium help in scientific research?

Helium is an important element in scientific research, particularly in the fields of cryogenics and aerospace. It is used in cryogenic systems to cool materials and equipment to extremely low temperatures, and it is also used as a lifting gas in weather balloons and airships.

5. Is helium a limited resource?

Yes, helium is a limited resource on Earth. It is a non-renewable resource and is mainly obtained as a byproduct of natural gas production. As demand for helium increases, it is important to conserve and recycle this valuable resource to ensure its availability for future scientific and industrial use.