Arc Length of Curve: Find Solution (-2,2) to (2,4)

In summary: A1=&A2=&A3=&A4=&A5=&A6=&A7=&A8=&A9=&output=tableIn summary, the homework statement is to find the arclength of the section y=x2 between points (-2,2) and (2,4). The Attempt at a Solution found that y'=2x and then used the integral table to find the arclength to be 1.4. The other intergral 4x^2=(2x)^2 can be integrated out by parts (and using some elementary substitutions). Thanks for the advice.
sepah50

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the section y=x2 between points (-2,2) and (2,4)

Homework Equations

L = [tex]\int\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did first is find the derivative of y=x2 which is y'=2x

So I put that into the formula and get [tex]\int\sqrt{1+4x^2}[/tex] from limit point 1 to 4

From this point on I attempted to do u-substitution but it didn;t seem to work.. Anyone have any suggestions o how I can get it done?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trig substitution works well here.

Char. Limit said:
Trig substitution works well here.

Yes, some people have told me to use Trigonometric substitution but the thing is that my teacher hasn't taught us that yet!

Represent it as:

[tex]
\sqrt{1 + 4 x^{2}} = \frac{1 + 4 x^{2}}{\sqrt{1 + 4 x^{2}}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + 4 x^{2}}} + \frac{4 x^{2}}{\sqrt{1 + 4 x^{2}}}
[/tex]

The integral:

[tex]
\int{\frac{dt}{\sqrt{1 + t^{2}}}} = \sinh^{-1}{(t)} = \ln{(t + \sqrt{1 + t^{2}})}
[/tex]

is sometimes quoted as a table integral. To my knowledge, there is no other way to prove except by those substitutions mentioned earlier, or hyperbolic ones.

The other intergral:

[tex]
4 \, \int{\frac{x^{2} \, dx}{\sqrt{1 + 4 x^{2}}}}
[/tex]

can be integrated out by parts (and using some elementary substitutions). Good luck!

Well, basically here's how it works. Let's say that...

[tex]2x=tan(\theta)[/tex]

Then this is also true.

[tex]2 dx = sec^2(\theta) d\theta[/tex]

Just plug those values in for dx and 4x^2=(2x)^2 and then you have a new integral in theta.

But don't forget to change your bounds too.

Char. Limit said:
Well, basically here's how it works. Let's say that...

[tex]2x=tan(\theta)[/tex]

Then this is also true.

[tex]2 dx = sec^2(\theta) d\theta[/tex]

Just plug those values in for dx and 4x^2=(2x)^2 and then you have a new integral in theta.

But don't forget to change your bounds too.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated! What I found out is that I can use the integral table and use this formula: http://www.sosmath.com/tables/integral/integ11/integ11.html" It is #8 of this list. Would that work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Arc Length of Curve: Find Solution (-2,2) to (2,4)

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a curve?

The formula for finding the arc length of a curve is L = ∫ √(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the curve.

2. How is the starting and ending point of the curve determined?

The starting and ending point of the curve are determined by the given coordinates, (-2,2) and (2,4) in this case. These points represent the beginning and end of the curve.

3. Can you explain the steps for finding the arc length of a curve?

First, find the derivative of the curve. Then, plug the derivative into the formula L = ∫ √(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx. Integrate the expression and substitute in the coordinates of the starting and ending points. Finally, solve for L, which represents the arc length of the curve.

4. Is there a shortcut for finding the arc length of a straight line?

Yes, the arc length of a straight line can be found using the Pythagorean Theorem, where L = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) represent the starting and ending points of the line.

5. Can the arc length of a curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a curve cannot be negative. It represents the distance along the curve and therefore, is always a positive value.