Arc Length and Smooth Curves: Understanding the Basis for Assumptions

In summary, the arc length is the longest length of a polygonal line corresponding to a given partition. The arc length is not affected by the curve's section that is between the two vertices of the partition.
Castilla
Guys, I need your kind assistance. I am studying arcs length. Suppose a vectorial function with domain [a, b] (interval in R) and range in RxR. This range is a curve in the RxR plane.

Take a partition P of [a, b]: a= t0, t1, t2,..., tn = b.

We have a straight line which goes from F(t0) to F(t1), another straight line that goes from F(t1) to F(t2), etcetera. Thus we build a "polygonal". By definition, the supremum of set A = { lengths of the polygonals corresponding to any partition} is the arc length.

But all books (in their drawings) assume that, for example, F(t2) can not be located in the curve that was "cut off" by the straight line which goes from F(t0) to F(t1). In other words: they assume that F(t2) can not go backwards and settle between F(t0) and F(t1).

I simply do not understand where is their basis for such assumption.

In two books they say that both component functions of F (lets call them f and g) have continuous derivatives and that there is not "t" in [a,b] such that (f'(t), g'(t)) = (0,0). I know that this implies that, for example, if we take F'(t1), at least one of the original component functions (f or g) is monotone in a interval that contains t1, but I fail to see how this conect with my question of the previous paragraph.

Can you help me? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guys, it is too obvious or too boring for droping some words to explain this?

We may be having difficulty understanding what you are asking. The points used to approximate the curve by a "broken line" are chosen so that the line does not "go back on itself"! We don't have assume such a thing. We are free to choose the points and order them as we wish.

No... it's much easier

Suppose the curve crosses back on itself

Then F(t0)=F(t2) (say)

But then F'(t0) = F'(t2).

This sounds reasonable. Looking at the curve, however, it's clearly not so

This is a contradiction, and hence the curve can't cross over itself

EDIT: This isn't properly right now that I think about it, but I remember an argument similar to it working

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
We may be having difficulty understanding what you are asking. The points used to approximate the curve by a "broken line" are chosen so that the line does not "go back on itself"! We don't have assume such a thing. We are free to choose the points and order them as we wish.

In the books they begin as this: "Take a partition of [a, b], say t0, t1,..., tn, and make a polygonal line drawing straight lines from F(t0) to F(t1), from F(t1) to F(t2), etcetera". Seemingly the points of the partition are chose at random. I have never read that we chose (say) t2 so as to avoid that F(t2) may fall in the curve's section that is between F(t0) and F(t1).

Nothing to coment about this paragraph(is the last one of my first post)?:

In two books they say that both component functions of F (lets call them f and g) have continuous derivatives and that there is not "t" in [a,b] such that (f'(t), g'(t)) = (0,0). I know that this implies that, for example, if we take F'(t1), at least one of the original component functions (f or g) is monotone in a interval that contains t1, but I fail to see how this conect with my question of the previous paragraph.

Shedder, I am not saying that the curve can not cut itself. It can. What I am asking is how can we know that the vertices of the polygonal aproximative line are always forward in the curve (regarding the previous vertex).

Last edited:
Is this what you mean?
http://folk.ntnu.no/bronner/temp/temp1178359412.45313.png
or this:
http://folk.ntnu.no/bronner/temp/temp1178359672.09375.png
In the first case, it's clearly not a problem, since this will not be the partition resulting in the longest length.

In the second case I think this will conflict with the continiuty of the function. (remember that (in my book at least) t0<t1<t2<t3<...<tn)

[ img ] tag not supported?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Arc Length and Smooth Curves: Understanding the Basis for Assumptions

1. What is arc length and how is it different from the length of a straight line?

Arc length is the distance along a curved line or arc, while the length of a straight line is the distance between two points in a straight line. While the length of a straight line can be easily calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, arc length requires a more complex calculation.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length is calculated using the formula L = ∫ab √(1 + (dy/dx)2) dx, where a and b are the starting and ending points of the curve, and dy/dx represents the derivative of the equation of the curve. This integral is known as the arc length integral.

3. What is the significance of arc length in mathematics and science?

Arc length is an important concept in mathematics and science, particularly in calculus and physics. It is used to calculate the length of a curved line in various applications, such as finding the distance traveled by a moving object along a curved path or determining the area under a curve.

4. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the distance along a curve. In some cases, the arc length may be equal to zero if the curve is a straight line, but it cannot be negative.

5. Can arc length be infinite?

Yes, arc length can be infinite in certain cases. This occurs when the curve is not smooth and has a sharp corner or cusp, as the arc length calculation is not defined in these cases. In such cases, the length of the curve becomes infinite as the curve approaches the corner or cusp.