AQA physics paper question: Where is the potential zero near these charges?

In summary: A sign is not a direction. You have found a point where the potential is 0. That says nothing about the field at that point. You may be missing something.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
The diagram shows two charges, +4 µC and -16 µC, 120 mm apart. What is the distance from the +4 µC
charge to the point between the two charges, where the resultant electric potential is zero?
A 24 mm
B 40 mm
C 80 mm
D 96 mm
Relevant Equations
f=kq1q2/r^2
This question is a bit werid because would there be a resulatant electric potential equal to zero as we have a positive and negative charge in which case there's no neutral point. As E1-E2 , they have to be acting in oppostie directions , in this case would they be acting in the same direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
bonbon22 said:
This question is a bit werid because would there be a resulatant electric potential equal to zero as we have a positive and negative charge in which case there's no neutral point. As E1-E2 , they have to be acting in oppostie directions , in this case would they be acting in the same direction.

Why do you think zero potential implies zero electric field (at a given point)?

PeroK said:
Why do you think zero potential implies zero electric field (at a given point)?
i think their is no neutral point but apparently their is, but these two charges are opposite yet the questions suggested theirs a neutral point so i don't quite understand. i understand how to get the answer of 24 mm.

bonbon22 said:
i think their is no neutral point but apparently their is, but these two charges are opposite yet the questions suggested theirs a neutral point so i don't quite understand. i understand how to get the answer of 24 mm.

What do you mean by a "neutral" point? Where the field is zero? Or, where the potential is 0?

Note that you can always add a constant to the potential, so that the value of the potential has no physical significance in itself.

PeroK said:
What do you mean by a "neutral" point? Where the field is zero? Or, where the potential is 0?

Note that you can always add a constant to the potential, so that the value of the potential has no physical significance in itself.
i mean that the when you have two positive or negative charges inbetween there's a point where F1= F2
the neutral point, in this case as the forces are acting in together its f1+f2, but would their potentials not also act in the same direction? hence no neutral point. to get the answer 24 mm i minused the potentials.

bonbon22 said:
i mean that the when you have two positive or negative charges inbetween there's a point where F1= F2
the neutral point, in this case as the forces are acting in together its f1+f2, but would their potentials not also act in the same direction? hence no neutral point. to get the answer 24 mm i minused the potentials.

A potential has no direction. It's not a vector. The potential and the field are very different things.

PeroK said:
A potential has no direction. It's not a vector. The potential and the field are very different things.
So why does minusing the potentials give me the answer ? I assumed as f = k q1q2/r^2 and potential has the equation v=kq1/r that's they are similar , different from graviational where its mass which can only have a magnitute but charge can be positive and negative right? so the potential can be positive and negative am i missing something?

bonbon22 said:
So why does minusing the potentials give me the answer ? I assumed as f = k q1q2/r^2 and potential has the equation v=kq1/r that's they are similar , different from graviational where its mass which can only have a magnitute but charge can be positive and negative right? so the potential can be positive and negative am i missing something?

A sign is not a direction. You have found a point where the potential is 0. That says nothing about the field at that point.

Try calculating the electric field at that point.

Related to AQA physics paper question: Where is the potential zero near these charges?

1. What is the concept of potential zero in physics?

In physics, potential zero is a reference point used to measure the potential energy of a system. It is a location where the potential energy is defined to be zero, and all other points in the system have a potential energy relative to this point.

2. How is potential zero related to electric charges?

Potential zero is related to electric charges because it is used to measure the potential energy of charged particles in an electric field. The potential zero is usually set at an infinite distance from the charges, and the potential energy of the charges is measured relative to this point.

3. Where is the potential zero located in relation to the charges?

The potential zero is located at an infinite distance from the charges. This means that it is very far away from the charges and is considered to be outside the electric field created by the charges.

4. How is the potential zero determined in a system of multiple charges?

In a system of multiple charges, the potential zero is determined by taking the average of the potential zero locations for each individual charge. This is because the potential energy of each charge is measured relative to the potential zero, so the overall potential zero is a combination of all the individual locations.

5. Why is it important to know the location of the potential zero in a system of charges?

Knowing the location of the potential zero is important because it allows us to calculate the potential energy of charged particles in an electric field. It also helps us understand the behavior of the charges and their interactions with each other. Additionally, the potential zero is used as a reference point in calculating other important quantities, such as electric potential and electric potential difference.