Approximation of Gaussian integral arising in population genetics

In summary: Plugging this into our equation and solving for C, we get C = (8Ns - 2v) / 4Ns.In summary, by simplifying the initial expressions for z and G(x) and using the assumption that (8 N^2 s v) is very small, we were able to obtain the solution u = 2s - v. I hope this helps. Good luck with your paper on population genetics!
Fraggler
The following problem arises in the context of a paper on population genetics (Kimura 1962, p. 717). I have posted it here because its solution should demand only straightforward applications of tools from analysis and algebra. However, I cannot figure it out.

Homework Statement

Let z = 4 N s [1 - 2 N v x (1 - x)]

G(x) = e^-∫z dx

u(p) = [∫G(x)dx (from x = 0 to p)] / [∫G(x)dx (from x = 0 to 1)]

Assume that v << 1, and 2Nv << 1. Assume further that Ns is large, but (8 N^2 s v) is very small.

We have u = 2s - v.

My question is: how is this obtained?

2. The attempt at a solution
One first multiplies z out, getting
z = 4Ns - 8N^2 v s x (1 - x)

Then one can plug this into the expression for G(x)
G(x) = e^-∫z dx

At this point, I have tried to take 8N^2 v s -> 0, and so we are left with the expression
G(x) = e^-∫4Ns dx
However, I do not know if it is justified to do this now, and this may be where I go wrong. Nevertheless, if we do this, we can simply integrate ∫4Ns dx = 4Nsx, and so G(x) = e^-4Nsx. Then we plug this expression into the u(p) expression, but this does not yield the correct solution.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question here. I can see that you have already made some progress in your attempt to solve this problem. However, I believe that you may be overcomplicating the solution.

First, let's take a closer look at the expression for z. Since v << 1 and 2Nv << 1, we can ignore these terms and simplify the expression to z = 4Ns. This will make the subsequent calculations much easier.

Next, let's consider the expression for G(x). As you correctly stated, we can simply integrate ∫4Ns dx = 4Nsx. But we also need to remember that the lower limit of integration is x = 0, so we need to include this in our solution. Therefore, G(x) = e^-4Nsx + C, where C is a constant of integration.

Now, let's plug this expression into the u(p) expression. We can simplify the denominator by using the same integration result as before, ∫4Ns dx = 4Nsx. This will leave us with u(p) = [∫e^-4Nsx + C dx (from x = 0 to p)] / 4Nsx.

Next, we can integrate e^-4Nsx with respect to x. This will give us -1/4Ns * e^-4Nsx + Cx. Plugging this into the u(p) expression and evaluating the limits of integration, we get u(p) = [(-1/4Ns * e^-4Nsp + Cp) - (-1/4Ns * e^0 + C*0)] / 4Ns.

Finally, we can simplify this expression to u(p) = [(-1/4Ns * e^-4Nsp + Cp) - (-1/4Ns)] / 4Ns = (-1/4Ns * e^-4Nsp + Cp + 1/4Ns) / 4Ns.

Now, we can use the fact that (8 N^2 s v) is very small to simplify this expression further. Since e^-4Nsp will approach 0 as Ns becomes larger, we can ignore this term. This leaves us with u(p) = (Cp + 1/4Ns) / 4Ns.

Finally, we need to find the value of C that satisfies the condition u = 2s - v

Related to Approximation of Gaussian integral arising in population genetics

What is the Gaussian integral in population genetics?

The Gaussian integral is a mathematical concept used in population genetics to approximate the probability of a specific genotype or allele combination occurring within a population.

Why is the Gaussian integral important in population genetics?

The Gaussian integral allows scientists to make predictions about the frequency of certain genetic traits within a population, which can aid in understanding the genetic variation and evolution of a species.

How is the Gaussian integral calculated in population genetics?

The Gaussian integral is calculated by using the standard normal distribution formula, which takes into account the mean and variance of a population's genetic traits.

What are some limitations of using the Gaussian integral in population genetics?

One limitation is that it assumes a normal distribution of genetic traits within a population, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the population size increases.

How can the Gaussian integral be applied in practical population genetics research?

The Gaussian integral can be used to make predictions about the genetic makeup of a population and to study the effects of natural selection, genetic drift, and migration on the frequency of specific genetic traits within a population.