Approximation of error function-type integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the approximation of an integral with real parameters A and B. For B < 0, the integral can be extended to negative infinity to yield a full complex gaussian integral. For B >= 0, the approach for A >> 1 and A << 1 respectively is discussed. A method using x= \sqrt{A}(t- B) is proposed for the integral with \sqrt{A}B large and positive, yielding \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}} e^{-i\frac{\pi}{4}}. For \sqrt{A}B < 0, it is suggested that the approximation may be 0 for large, negative \sqrt{A}B. Further assistance is requested
RedSonja
Hi! How do I approximate the integral
\begin{equation} \int_0^{\infty} dt \:e^{-iA(t-B)^2} \end{equation}
with [itex]A, B[/itex] real, [itex]A > 0[/itex], and [itex]B=b \cos\theta[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq \theta < 2\pi[/itex]?
I guess for [itex] B\ll 0[/itex] the lower limit may be extended to [itex] - \infty[/itex] to yield a full complex gaussian integral, but what about [itex]B \geq 0[/itex]? And what happens for [itex]A \gg 1[/itex] and [itex]A \ll 1[/itex] respectively?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you let [itex]x= \sqrt{A}(t- B)[/itex] then the integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}\int_{-\sqrt{A}B}^\infty e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

Ok, so for

\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{A}} \int_{-\sqrt{A}B}^{\infty} dx \: e^{-ix^2}
\end{equation}

with [itex]\sqrt{A}B[/itex] large and positive we may extend the limit to [itex]-\infty[/itex] and obtain [itex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}} e^{-i\frac{\pi}{4}}[/itex], and for [itex]\sqrt{A}B\approx 0[/itex] we get half of that, but what happens for [itex]\sqrt{A}B[/itex] negative? I suppose we get 0 for large, negative [itex]\sqrt{A}B[/itex] (?), but I don't know how to handle the approximation for "intermediate" negative [itex]\sqrt{A}B[/itex].

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Approximation of error function-type integral

1. What is an error function-type integral?

An error function-type integral is a mathematical concept used to approximate the value of an integral that cannot be solved analytically. It is typically used in situations where the integrand cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

2. How is an error function-type integral calculated?

The calculation of an error function-type integral involves using various numerical methods such as Simpson's rule, trapezoidal rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods break down the integral into smaller, simpler parts and approximate the value of each part, which are then combined to give an overall approximation of the integral.

3. What is the purpose of approximating an error function-type integral?

The purpose of approximating an error function-type integral is to obtain an estimate of the integral's value when it cannot be evaluated exactly. This is useful in many scientific and engineering applications where the integral represents a physical quantity.

4. Are there any limitations to using error function-type integration?

Yes, there are limitations to using error function-type integration. It is only applicable to integrals that can be expressed as a function of a single variable. It also requires a certain level of numerical accuracy, which can be affected by the complexity of the integrand and the chosen numerical method.

5. How can the error in an error function-type integral be minimized?

The error in an error function-type integral can be minimized by using more accurate numerical methods, increasing the number of intervals, and reducing the step size. It is also important to choose a suitable numerical method for the specific integral being approximated.