Approximating Windshield Shape of a Car: Velocity at Points A & B

In summary, the conversation discusses how to obtain an equation for the shape of a car windshield in polar coordinates and how to determine the velocity of air at two points when the car is moving at 55 mph. The suggested approach is to use Bernoulli's equation and the "no slip" boundary condition. The velocity at point A is 0 relative to the car and 55 mph relative to the ground.
kela582

Homework Statement

[/B]
The shape of a car windshield is approximated in the figure below; its length is 2.0 ft and height is 1.5 ft. Obtain an equation of the windshield shape r as a function of
θ,
r(θ), in the polar coordinate system shown in the picture.

When the car moves at 55 mph, determine the velocity of the air at points A and B.

28b87iq.jpg

Homework Equations

Not really sure how to approach this...maybe Bernoulli's Equation? We've been studying the method of repeating variables, but I'm unsure how I would apply that. I really don't know where to begin with this one!

The Attempt at a Solution

(P/rho + v^2/2 + gz = constant)
But I don't know the pressure difference...I'm hopelessly stuck :( If anyone could help shed some light on this, and just give me an idea where to even begin, that would be very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be a trick question. Have you heard of the "no slip" boundary condition?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This seems to be a trick question. Have you heard of the "no slip" boundary condition?

Chet
Ah, so v_A = 0.

kela582 said:
Ah, so v_A = 0.
Relative to the car. Relative to the ground, it's U = 55 mph.

Chet

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles involved. The shape of the windshield is important because it affects the flow of air around the car, which can impact the car's aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

To obtain an equation for the windshield shape, I would start by breaking it down into simpler geometric shapes, such as circles, lines, and curves. Using these shapes, I would create a mathematical model that describes the windshield's shape in terms of its length, height, and angle θ.

Next, I would use Bernoulli's equation to analyze the air flow at points A and B. This equation relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid and can be used to calculate the velocity of the air at these points. I would also take into account the speed of the car, as it will affect the overall air flow around the car.

To solve for the velocity at points A and B, I would use the equation for the windshield shape and the values for the car's speed and angle θ. I would also consider any other factors that may affect the air flow, such as the shape and size of the car's body.

Overall, this problem requires a combination of mathematical modeling and understanding of fluid dynamics principles. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like this with a systematic and analytical mindset, using both theoretical knowledge and practical considerations to find a solution.

Related to Approximating Windshield Shape of a Car: Velocity at Points A & B

1. What is the purpose of approximating the windshield shape of a car?

The purpose of approximating the windshield shape of a car is to understand the airflow and velocity patterns around the car while it is in motion. This information can help in designing more aerodynamic and efficient cars.

2. How is the velocity at points A and B determined?

The velocity at points A and B is determined through mathematical calculations and simulations based on the shape and dimensions of the windshield, the speed of the car, and the surrounding air conditions. These calculations can also be verified through wind tunnel tests.

3. What factors affect the velocity at points A and B?

The velocity at points A and B is affected by the shape of the windshield, the speed of the car, the angle of the windshield, and the air density and pressure. Other factors such as the shape of the car's body and the presence of other objects around the car can also have an impact on the velocity at these points.

4. How does the windshield shape impact the overall aerodynamics of a car?

The windshield shape plays a crucial role in the overall aerodynamics of a car. It affects the air resistance, drag force, and lift force on the car. A well-designed windshield can help reduce air resistance and improve the car's performance and fuel efficiency.

5. Can the windshield shape of a car be optimized for different driving conditions?

Yes, the windshield shape of a car can be optimized for different driving conditions. For example, a more angled windshield may be better for high-speed driving on highways, while a more curved windshield may be more suitable for city driving. Factors such as wind speed and direction also need to be taken into account when optimizing the windshield shape for different driving conditions.