Approximate solution for non-linear ODE

In summary, Dan is trying to find an interval over which the acceleration of an object is "roughly" constant. He is proposing a strategy of dropping an object from a height and solving for the interval over which the acceleration is "roughly" constant.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I've decided to finish off this stage of my GR problem by finding an interval over which the acceleration of the object is "roughly" constant. I don't need help with the Math per se, but I would like your opinion on the method I am proposing. The Math is sufficiently ugly that I'd like some feedback before I get started on a path that will take me too long to realize is fruitless. So here we go:

The equation is this:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2 x}{d \tau ^2} + \frac{c}{2} \left ( \frac{d x}{d \tau } \right ) ^2 = -A e^{-2 c x}\)
where c and A are constant. I am convinced that this has no non-trivial exact solutions.

What I would like to do is find an interval in x such that \(\displaystyle \frac{d ^2 x}{d \tau ^2} \approx \text{constant} \equiv a\).

I am proposing the following strategy: I am going to drop an object from a height H, so \(\displaystyle x_0 = H\) from rest, so \(\displaystyle v_0 = \left . \frac{dx}{d \tau} \right |_0 = 0\). That means that I'm going to set \(\displaystyle x = H - \frac{1}{2}a \tau ^2\). My thought from here is to expand the exponential function on the RHS as a Taylor series to zeroth order, with remainder: this will give me a range to solve for \(\displaystyle \Delta h\), which is an interval over the distance x where the acceleration is roughly constant. It will pretty much go like this:
\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2 x}{d \tau ^2} + \frac{c}{2} \left ( \frac{d x}{d \tau } \right ) ^2 = -A e^{-2 c x}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2x}{d \tau^2} = a, ~~ \frac{dx}{d \tau} = a \tau, ~~ x = \frac{1}{2}a \tau ^2\)

\(\displaystyle a + \frac{c}{2} \cdot ( a \tau ) ^2 \approx -A e^{-2 c x -2c x_0} \)

\(\displaystyle a + \frac{1}{2}c a^2 \tau ^2 \approx -A \left ( e^{-2cH} \cdot e^{c a \tau ^2} - 2ce^{-2 c \xi } \Delta h \right )\)
Where the last term is the remainder written in the Lagrange form, \(\displaystyle \Delta h = x - x_0\), and \(\displaystyle x_0 < \xi < x\).

How do I finish this? I want an interval on x (which would be \(\displaystyle \Delta h\)) where the acceleration is roughly constant... I want to solve for \(\displaystyle \Delta h\) in terms of \(\displaystyle \tau\). Do I vary the value of \(\displaystyle \xi\) to get this?

Is this method even appropriate? Is there another approximation scheme I should try instead?

Thanks in advance!

-Dan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Dan!

That sounds pretty complicated.

Just brainstorming here, but if I look at:
topsquark said:
where c and A are constant. I am convinced that this has no non-trivial exact solutions.

What I would like to do is find an interval in x such that \(\displaystyle \frac{d ^2 x}{d \tau ^2} \approx \text{constant} \equiv a\).

I would first think like:
$$\ddot x + \frac c 2 \dot x^2 = f(x) \Rightarrow \ddot x=f(x) - \frac c 2 \dot x^2$$

If we want $\ddot x \approx a$, that means that:
$$\d {}\tau \ddot x \approx 0 \Rightarrow f'(x)\dot x - c \dot x \ddot x \approx 0 \Rightarrow f'(x) \approx ca$$

If I'm not mistaken, that comes out as:
$$x \approx \frac 1 {2c}\ln\frac{A}{-ca}$$

I like Serena said:
Hey Dan!

That sounds pretty complicated.

Just brainstorming here, but if I look at:I would first think like:
$$\ddot x + \frac c 2 \dot x^2 = f(x) \Rightarrow \ddot x=f(x) - \frac c 2 \dot x^2$$

If we want $\ddot x \approx a$, that means that:
$$\d {}\tau \ddot x \approx 0 \Rightarrow f'(x)\dot x - c \dot x \ddot x \approx 0 \Rightarrow f'(x) \approx ca$$

If I'm not mistaken, that comes out as:
$$x \approx \frac 1 {2c}\ln\frac{A}{-ca}$$
Actually it comes out to be
\(\displaystyle x \approx -\frac{1}{2c} ln \left ( \frac{a}{2A} \right )\)

Which implies that, since a < 0 (which I should have noted earlier!) that A < 0 which implies c < 0 as well. (I never gave the form of A.)

I think this concept is better than the one I was trying to derive. I was trying to find what intervals \(\displaystyle \Delta h\) of x would be related to a roughly constant acceleration, but I just couldn't figure out how to formulate it. But this form is actually better for what I was trying to figure out. Thanks for the help!

-Dan

Related to Approximate solution for non-linear ODE

1. What is an approximate solution for a non-linear ODE?

An approximate solution for a non-linear ODE is an estimation of the true solution that is close enough to be considered accurate. This is often necessary when an exact solution cannot be found or when the equation is too complex to solve analytically.

2. How is an approximate solution for a non-linear ODE calculated?

An approximate solution for a non-linear ODE is typically calculated using numerical methods, such as the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, or the finite difference method. These methods involve breaking the problem down into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution.

3. What are the limitations of an approximate solution for a non-linear ODE?

An approximate solution for a non-linear ODE is not exact and therefore may not capture all of the complexities of the problem. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximate solution depends on the chosen numerical method and the step size used in the calculations.

4. When is an approximate solution for a non-linear ODE necessary?

An approximate solution for a non-linear ODE is necessary when an exact solution cannot be found or when the equation is too complex to solve analytically. It is also useful when studying systems with changing or uncertain parameters, as it allows for quick and efficient estimation of the solution.

5. How can I determine the accuracy of an approximate solution for a non-linear ODE?

The accuracy of an approximate solution for a non-linear ODE can be determined by comparing it to known solutions or by using error analysis techniques. These methods involve calculating the difference between the approximate solution and the true solution, and evaluating the error in the approximation.