Approaching the problem o 1D well that changes size

In summary: So [itex]\psi_2[/itex] is what you should use for [itex]\psi[/itex].In summary, the conversation discusses a one-dimensional potential well with a width of 0 to a, where the particle in the well is in the first excited state, n=2. The question at hand is what are the allowed energies and eigenfunctions in the new infinite well when the wall is pushed inward to a/2. The conversation also delves into finding the probability of the particle being in the ground state and the first excited state. The solution involves using the ground state wave function and the series expansion to determine the probability. However, there is a discrepancy in the problem as pushing in the wall would
Emspak

Homework Statement

You have a potential well, it's 1-dimensional and has a width of 0 to a. All of a sudden the wall of the well is pushed inward so that it's half as wide. Now the well is only extending from 0 to a/2.

in the well is a particle (mass m) that is in the first excited state n=2.

We want to know the following:

- What are the allowed energies and eigenfunctions in our new (smaller) infinite well?
- what is the probability of finding our particle in the ground state? The first excited state?

Homework Equations

We know the ground state of a particle (the wave function) is
## \psi_0 = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{L}} \sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{L} x \right) ## and that ##E_n = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}n^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did here was look first at the equation for E. I can just plug in n=2 and a/2 = L and get

[itex]E_2 = \frac{16 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{m}[/itex], which tells me the n=2 energy.

So I want to know th probability of the ground state, though. For that I need the series expansion

## \sum c_n \psi_n ##

where

## c_n = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{a}} \int_0^{\frac{a}{2}} \sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{a} \right) \sqrt{ \frac{2}{L}} \sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right) dx##

and making sure that I plug in a/2 for L:
## c_n = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{a}} \int_0^{\frac{a}{2}} \sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{a} \right) \sqrt{ \frac{4}{a}} \sin \left(\frac{2 n\pi x}{a}\right) dx##
pull out the constants:
## c_n = \frac{\sqrt{8}}{a} \int_0^{\frac{a}{2}} \sin \left(\frac{n\pi x}{a} \right) \sin \left(\frac{2 n\pi x}{a}\right) dx##

and we have here a pretty well-behaved function. A trig substitution / identity gives me:
## c_n = \frac{\sqrt{8}}{a} \int_0^{\frac{a}{2}} \frac{1}{2} \left[\cos \left(\frac{n\pi}{a}-\frac{2 n\pi}{a} x \right) -\cos \left(\frac{n\pi}{a}+\frac{2 n\pi}{a} x \right) \right] dx##
##= \frac{\sqrt{8}}{2a} \int_0^{\frac{a}{2}} \cos \left(\frac{ n\pi}{a} x \right) -\cos \left(\frac{3 n\pi}{a} x \right) dx##
##= \frac{\sqrt{8}}{2a} \left[ -\frac{a \sin \left(\frac{ n\pi}{a} x \right)}{n\pi} -\frac{ a \sin \left(\frac{3 n\pi}{a} x \right)}{3n\pi} \right]^{\frac{a}{2}}_0 ##
##= \frac{\sqrt{8}}{2a} \left[ -\frac{a \sin \left(\frac{ n\pi}{2} \right)}{n\pi} -\frac{ a \sin \left(\frac{3 n\pi}{2} \right)}{3n\pi}\right] = -\frac{\sqrt{8}}{2n\pi} \left[ \sin \left(\frac{ n\pi}{2} \right) +\frac{ \sin \left(\frac{3n\pi}{2} \right)}{3}\right] ##

So I see that the sine terms are
n=1 --> 2/3
n=3 --> -2/3
n=5 --> 2/3

and so on. So I want to know the probability that the particle is in the first excited state, n=2. It turns out that it can't be there, because ##c_n## is zero wherever n is even. But at n=1 ##(c_1)^2 = \frac{8}{4\pi^2}\frac{4}{9} = \frac{32}{36\pi^2}##. That's my probability for that particular state. At ##(c_3)^2 = \frac{8}{36\pi^2}\frac{4}{9} = \frac{32}{324\pi^2}##, et cetera.

Ayhow I am checking to see if I approached this thing right, and didn't make a dumb mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the well is a particle (mass m) that is in the first excited state n=2.
This tells you the wave function ##\psi##. There is a 2 in there, but no longer an n.
To get the ##c_{n'}## you need to evaluate ##\int \psi^*_{n'}\; \psi##.

I have a problem with this exercise, because pushing in the wall can't leave the wave function as it was: it has to remain normalized. And I think there's no telling what that does to the energy of the particle.

(The reverse problem allows one to extend the wave function with 0 in the 'new' range, thus avoiding this renormalization issue)

As I recall the problem was stated as an infinite potential is inserted at a/2, if that helps, and the idea was w could just ignore the part of the well on the right. But if I hear you right I should set up [itex]\int \psi^*_n' \psi [\itex] as ##\int \psi^*_n' \psi_2 ## ?

BvU said:
This tells you the wave function ##\psi##. There is a 2 in there, but no longer an n.
To get the ##c_{n'}## you need to evaluate ##\int \psi^*_{n'}\; \psi##.

I have a problem with this exercise, because pushing in the wall can't leave the wave function as it was: it has to remain normalized. And I think there's no telling what that does to the energy of the particle.

(The reverse problem allows one to extend the wave function with 0 in the 'new' range, thus avoiding this renormalization issue)

As I recall the problem was stated as an infinite potential is inserted at a/2, if that helps, and the idea was w could just ignore the part of the well on the right. But if I hear you right I should set up [itex]\int \psi^*_n' \psi [\itex] as ##\int \psi^*_{n'} \psi_2 ## ? And then the issue is figuring out what n' is? (Or can I go with 1 since the well is half-size, and the wave is going to be cut in half -- foe purposes of this problem I don't think we had to renormalize).

i just tried getting the dangd Latex to work and it's buggy today. but i think you ought to be able to see what i was asking.

Yeah, you need curly brackets around {n'} :)

Cutting the wave function in half makes the probablility the particle is somewhere equal to one half, which I find hard to swallow.
Otherwise, yes, I agree: that's what I tried to bring across. n (for the full width well) is fixed to 2 by the exercise statement.

Related to Approaching the problem o 1D well that changes size

1. What is a 1D well?

A 1D well refers to a one-dimensional potential well, which is a simplified model used to describe the behavior of particles in a confined space with only one degree of freedom.

2. How does the size of a 1D well affect its properties?

The size of a 1D well directly affects its properties, such as the energy levels and wave functions of the particles confined within it. As the size of the well changes, these properties will also change accordingly.

3. What factors can cause a 1D well to change size?

A 1D well can change size due to external factors such as changes in the potential energy barrier, changes in the dimensions of the well, or changes in the properties of the particles within the well.

4. How do scientists approach the problem of a 1D well that changes size?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study the behavior of particles in a 1D well that changes size. They also conduct experiments to observe and measure the effects of different sizes on the properties of the well.

5. What are the potential applications of studying 1D wells that change size?

Understanding the behavior of particles in 1D wells that change size has various applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, materials science, and nanotechnology. It can also provide insights into the behavior of confined systems in nature.