Approaching Question C1: Finding Roots of Elements in a Field

In summary, the conversation discusses various approaches to solving question C1 and the difficulties in finding a solution without making invalid assumptions. The conversation also touches on other related questions and the possibility of a typo in the formulation of question C2. Ultimately, the question may not be worth pursuing.
Kiwi1
View attachment 5969

Any suggestions on how I should approach question C1?

Every time I think I have a solution I find that I have made the implicit assumption either that F is abelian or that the roots of w are in the center of F. I don't think either assumption is valid.

If I let K be the root field of the poly then clearly it must contain d, but I have been unable to show that it must contain w.

I can see that:
\([F(\omega):F] \leq p-1\)

\([F(d):F] \leq p\)

\([F(d,\omega):F]=[F(d,\omega):F(d)][F(d):F]\)

\([F(d,\omega):F]=[F(d,\omega):F(\omega)][F(\omega):F]\)

But don't seem to be able to form these ideas into a solution.

Attachments

• Roots of element.jpg
    Roots of element.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
OK so solved Q1. It was straightforward to show (by contradiction) that w is in the center of K. From there it is easy enough to show that \(F(d,\omega)\) is the root field.

But now I can't solve Q2. In fact I can falsify the assertion of Q2 as follows:

Let F be the field of rational numbers.

\(x^5-2^5=(x-2)(x^4+2x^3+4x^2+8x+16)\)

So with p=5 and a=32 I get:
\(x^p-a=f(x)p(x)\) where f(x) has degree 1 and p(x) has degree 4

Kiwi said:
OK so solved Q1. It was straightforward to show (by contradiction) that w is in the center of K. From there it is easy enough to show that \(F(d,\omega)\) is the root field.

But now I can't solve Q2. In fact I can falsify the assertion of Q2 as follows:

Let F be the field of rational numbers.

\(x^5-2^5=(x-2)(x^4+2x^3+4x^2+8x+16)\)

So with p=5 and a=32 I get:
\(x^p-a=f(x)p(x)\) where f(x) has degree 1 and p(x) has degree 4

I think the question is asking to show this:

We can factor $x^p-a$ as $f(x)p(x)$ where both factors have degree at least $2$. (Note that the question says "at most" in place of "at least", but this is clearly a typo since then deg(x^p-a)=p\leq 4).

Once we start to speculate on what a typo is things get hard. Perhaps they mean ONE factor is \(\leq 2\). The example I have shown has one factor of degree \(\leq 2\) and one \(\geq 2\).

Looking at the subsequent questions it would make more sense to me that they would want me to prove ONE factor has degree greater than 2. In the context of the rational numbers that would ensure that the extended field includes a complex number.

Having completed questions C3-C7, I can't see why question C2 is required to complete the proof that: \(x^p-a\) either has a root in F or is irreducible over F.

Last edited:
Kiwi said:
Once we start to speculate on what a typo is things get hard. Perhaps they mean ONE factor is \(\leq 2\). The example I have shown has one factor of degree \(\leq 2\) and one \(\geq 2\).

Looking at the subsequent questions it would make more sense to me that they would want me to prove ONE factor has degree greater than 2. In the context of the rational numbers that would ensure that the extended field includes a complex number.

Having completed questions C3-C7, I can't see why question C2 is required to complete the proof that: \(x^p-a\) either has a root in F or is irreducible over F.
I think you are right. Anyway, I don't think this question is worth the time. :)

Related to Approaching Question C1: Finding Roots of Elements in a Field

What are the roots of elements in a field?

The roots of elements in a field refer to the numbers that, when multiplied by themselves a certain number of times, give the original element. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, as 5 multiplied by itself gives 25.

How are the roots of elements in a field found?

The roots of elements in a field are found through a process called "taking the root." This involves finding a number that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, gives the original element. For example, to find the square root of 25, we would look for a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives 25. In this case, the number is 5.

What is the difference between rational and irrational roots?

Rational roots are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (e.g. 2/3, 5/2), while irrational roots are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers (e.g. √2, √5). Rational roots can be written as terminating or repeating decimals, while irrational roots are non-terminating and non-repeating decimals.

Can every element in a field have a root?

Yes, every element in a field has at least one root. However, some elements may have multiple roots, while others may have only one unique root. For example, the number 9 has two roots (3 and -3), while the number 4 has only one unique root (2).

What are some applications of finding roots of elements in a field?

Finding roots of elements in a field is essential in many fields of science and mathematics, such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used in various calculations and equations, including finding solutions to quadratic equations, calculating areas and volumes, and solving for unknown variables in equations.