Applying Maxwell's equations to plane waves

In summary, the content discusses a harmonic uniform plane wave in a simple medium and its effects on both the electric and magnetic fields. The four Maxwell's equations for a uniform plane wave in a source-free region are shown to reduce to specific equations involving the wave vector, electric and magnetic fields, and frequency. The question focuses on the fourth equation which involves the dot product of the wave vector and the electric and magnetic fields. The wave vector, also known as the "wave number", is a vector quantity with magnitude equal to the wavenumber and direction of propagation. Substituting the electric and magnetic fields into Maxwell's equations and taking derivatives leads to the desired results. However, the concept of a vector as the wave number may be confusing.
cksoon11

Homework Statement

For a harmonic uniform plane wave propagating in a simple medium, both [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] vary in accordance with the factor exp(-i [tex]\vec{k}[/tex].[tex]\vec{R}[/tex])

Show that the four Maxwell’s equations
for a uniform plane wave in a source-free region reduce to the following:

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]= [tex]\omega\mu[/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = [tex]\omega\epsilon[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = 0

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = 0

Apparently "Vector k and Vector R are the the general forms of wave number and position vector(or direction of propagation)"

Question Source(no.4) :http://www.lib.yuntech.edu.tw/exam_new/96/de.pdf"

Homework Equations

You supposed to use Maxwell's Equations for a plane wave

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = -i[tex]\omega\mu[/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex] x [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = i[tex]\omega\mu[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

[tex]\nabla . [/tex] [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = 0

[tex]\nabla . [/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First off,I am confused as to how k can be a vector when it is the wave number(a scalar).
From what I can tell,the wave is propagating in the radial direction in spherical coordinates.
I then assumed the electric and magnetic fields to be orthogonal in the [tex]\theta[/tex]and [tex]\phi[/tex] direction.

But just simply substituting the phasor form of the plane wave into Maxwell's equations:

E[tex]_{o}[/tex] exp((-i [tex]\vec{k}[/tex].[tex]\vec{R}[/tex]) into Maxwell equations doesn't seem to yield the desired results because I don't understand how they obtained the cross-products and dot products of [tex]\vec{k}[/tex]with [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] and
[tex]\vec{H}[/tex].

I just can't seem to grasp the concept of a vector as my wave number.Could someone please phrase the question in more concise terms?What am I misunderstanding here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The vector [itex]\textbf{k}[/itex] is called the "wave vector". It's magnitude is the wavenumber and it points in the direction of propagation.

Just substitute [tex]\textbf{E}=\textbf{E}_0e^{i(\textfb{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)}[/itex] and [tex]\textbf{H}=\textbf{H}_0e^{i(\textfb{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)}[/itex] into Maxwell's equations and take the derivatives...what do you get?

Related to Applying Maxwell's equations to plane waves

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and form the basis of classical electromagnetism.

2. How are Maxwell's equations applied to plane waves?

Plane waves are a type of electromagnetic wave with a constant amplitude and wavelength that propagate in a single direction. Maxwell's equations can be used to describe the behavior of plane waves by relating the electric and magnetic fields to each other and the sources of the waves.

3. What are the key components of Maxwell's equations?

The four equations that make up Maxwell's equations are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. These equations describe the relationships between the electric and magnetic fields, charges and currents, and the sources of electromagnetic waves.

4. How are Maxwell's equations used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations are the foundation of many technologies, including radio, television, and wireless communication. They are also used in the design of electronic devices, power grids, and medical imaging equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to applying Maxwell's equations to plane waves?

While Maxwell's equations are incredibly powerful and accurate in describing the behavior of electromagnetic waves, they are based on classical electromagnetism and do not account for quantum effects. Additionally, they do not apply to extreme conditions such as near black holes or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.