Applied Stochastic Processes: characteristic functions

In summary, the characteristic function of the random variable Z is given by: 1. The point 2. can be solved in similar way and the task is left to You as try.2. The point 3. requires the computation of $f_{X + Y} (x)$ and it will be done in next post...
ra_forever8
Find characteristic functions of
1. The random variable X uniformly distributed on[-1..1]
2. The random variable Y distributed exponentially (with exponent λ)
3. The random variable Z=X+Y

Physics news on Phys.org
grandy said:
Find characteristic functions of
1. The random variable X uniformly distributed on[-1..1]
2. The random variable Y distributed exponentially (with exponent λ)
3. The random variable Z=X+Y

By definition the characteristic function of a r.v. X is...$\displaystyle \varphi_{X} (t) = E\ \{e^{i\ t\ X}\} = \int_{ - \infty}^{+ \infty} f_{X} (x)\ e^{i\ t\ x}\ d x\ (1)$

For the point 1. is then...

$\displaystyle \varphi_{X} (t) = \frac{1}{2}\ \int_{-1}^{1} e^{i\ t\ x}\ dx = \frac{\sin t}{t}\ (2)$

The point 2. can be solved in similar way and the task is left to You as try. The point 3. requires the computation of $f_{X + Y} (x)$ and it will be done in next post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

In (1) what is the value of Fx(x)?
From point(1) to (2), How did you go, is it by integrating?
In point 2 how did you get sint/t. Is this final answer for qs1.1 that I need to get?

In (1) what is the value of Fx(x)?...

The (1) is a general formula that holds for any $f_{X}(x)$...

From point(1) to (2), how did you go, is it by integrating?...

Yes!...

In point 2 how did you get sint/t. Is this final answer for qs1.1 that I need to get?...

The function $\displaystyle \varphi (t) = \frac{\sin t}{t}$ is the result of integration... that is also the final answer!...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Using 1/ b-a of the limit -1 to 1, I got fx (x) =1/2
But how to integrate e^(itx )in the limi -1 to 1 to get sin t/ t.
Any hint please

Point 1.i got= sint/t
point 2. I found out = λ/(it- λ)
would please help me to do point 3.

grandy said:
Point 1.i got= sint/t
point 2. I found out = λ/(it- λ)
would please help me to do point 3.

Your solution of the point 2. is correct...

$\displaystyle \varphi_{X} (t) = \lambda\ \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{(i\ t - \lambda)\ x}\ d x = \frac{\lambda}{i\ t - \lambda}\ (1)$

The point 3. requires the evaluation of the p.d.f. of Z = X + Y. If X has p.d.f. $\displaystyle f_{X} (x)$ and Y has p.d.f. $\displaystyle f_{Y} (x)$ then Z = X + Y has p.d.f. ...

$\displaystyle f_{Z} (x) = f_{X} (x) * f_{Y} (x) = \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} f_{X} (\xi)\ f_{Y} (x - \xi)\ d \xi\ (2)$

The operation in (2) is called convolution and it is efficiently performed using the Laplace Transform. We have...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L} \{ f_{X} (x)\} = \frac{\sinh s}{s}\ (3)$

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L} \{ f_{Y} (x)\} = \frac{\lambda}{s + \lambda}\ (4)$

... so that is... $\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{f_{Z} (x)\} = \frac{\lambda\ \sinh s}{s\ (s + \lambda)} \implies f_{Z} (x) = \frac{1 - e^{- \lambda\ x}}{2}\ \{\mathcal {U} (x + 1) - \mathcal{U} (x-1)\}\ (5)$

Are You able to proceed alone?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
NO, I cannot proceed alone. I am confused.
how did you get point 3, 4 and 5. is point 5 the final answer?
and how did you change to to s in point 3 and 4

grandy said:
NO, I cannot proceed alone. I am confused.
how did you get point 3, 4 and 5. is point 5 the final answer?
and how did you change to to s in point 3 and 4

As preliminary consideration I have to precise that if someone wants to operate in advanced probability, knowledge of advanced calculus, that includes complex variable function theory, convolution, Laplace and Fourier Transforms is essential. The 'final answer' to point 3 is the evaluation of the charactristic function of the r.v. Z, the p.d.f. of which is given by...

$\displaystyle f_{Z} (x) = \frac{1 - e^{- \lambda\ x}}{2}\ \{\mathcal{U} (x+1) - \mathcal{U} (x-1) \}\ (1)$

By definition is...

$\displaystyle \varphi_{Z} (t) = E \{e^{i\ t\ Z}\} = \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1- e^{- \lambda\ x}}{2}\ e^{i\ t\ x}\ dx = \frac{\sin t}{t} - \frac{\sinh (\lambda - i\ t)}{\lambda - i\ t}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Applied Stochastic Processes: characteristic functions

1. What is a characteristic function?

A characteristic function is a mathematical function that uniquely determines the probability distribution of a random variable. It is defined as the expectation value of the complex exponential function of the random variable.

2. How is a characteristic function related to stochastic processes?

A characteristic function is used to describe the probability distribution of a stochastic process. It can be used to calculate the moments and other statistical properties of the process.

3. What is the importance of characteristic functions in applied stochastic processes?

Characteristic functions play a crucial role in applied stochastic processes because they allow for the analysis and modeling of complex random phenomena. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of stochastic processes and making predictions about their future behavior.

4. How are characteristic functions calculated?

Characteristic functions can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as numerical integration, series expansions, and Fourier transforms. In some cases, they can also be derived analytically from the probability distribution of the random variable.

5. Can characteristic functions be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, characteristic functions are commonly used to model real-world phenomena in various fields, including finance, economics, physics, and engineering. They provide a flexible and powerful tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of complex systems.