Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)

In summary, the person has started a mechanics course and is stuck on a question regarding a force acting on a particle. They have tried to solve the problem by setting l and m equal to constants, but it did not help. They are asking for hints on how to solve the problem.
Ancient
Hi everybody.
I have started with the M1 Mechanics Course this term and my teacher gave me some exam questions to do over the half term break but now I am stuck on one of the questions and I hope someone here will be able to help me.

So here is the question:
(read l as lamda and m as mue)

A force F2 = (l i + m j ) acts on a particle.

Show that 2l - m + 1 = 0.
Given that the direction of F2 is parallel to j

I have started to think about this problem and came up with

(l + m) = (0+1) x constant
l = 0 x constant.
m = 1 x constant.

But this does not really help me at all. and i can't think about much else to do so I am very happy over every hint you can offer me.

Thanks in advance.
Ancient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I don't understand the question. If F2 is li+ mj, is there an F1?
"Given that the direction of F2 is parallel to j" it follows that l must be 0. It is NOT necessary that m= 1. Is there another force with i component 1- m?

Hi and thanks for helping.

There is another Force F1 = (2i + 3j) but I do not think that it is relevant for this part of the question.

Related to Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)

What is Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)?

Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1) is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on objects. It involves the application of mathematical principles and equations to solve problems related to motion, forces, and energy. It is often used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

What are some key topics covered in Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)?

Some key topics covered in Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1) include kinematics, dynamics, statics, and energy. Kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Dynamics, on the other hand, focuses on the forces that cause motion. Statics deals with the equilibrium of objects when forces are applied to them. Energy involves the study of the different forms of energy and how they relate to the motion of objects.

What skills are required to excel in Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)?

To excel in Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1), one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also helpful to have good problem-solving skills and the ability to visualize and interpret mathematical models.

What are some real-world applications of Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)?

Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1) has many real-world applications, including designing and analyzing structures such as bridges and buildings, understanding the motion of objects in space and on Earth, predicting the behavior of fluids and gases, and developing technologies such as robotics and self-driving cars.

What are some common misconceptions about Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1)?

One common misconception about Applied Maths Mechanics (AS M1) is that it is only useful for those pursuing a career in engineering. In reality, its principles and concepts are applicable in many other fields, such as physics, astronomy, and even economics. Another misconception is that it is a purely theoretical subject, when in fact, it has many practical and real-world applications.