Applied Math Careers(Finance, Statstics,etc)

In summary, the speaker is in their final 18 months of an Applied Math BS and is considering specializing in either Statistics or a more general track. They are unsure of their career path after graduation but would like a well-paying job. They do not want to pursue a Master's degree and are wondering what potential careers are available for someone with a Bachelor's in Math. They are also considering a job as a Quantitative Analyst in New York City, but unsure if that is possible with only a BS from a state university. The speaker is also curious about other finance jobs they may be qualified for and what their options are in Statistics.
sagan
Hello, I am in my final 18 months of my Applied Math BS. I am at the point where I can specialize in a few different areas, I could either take elective courses in Stats or in a more General Applied/Computation/Modelling track. I'm not sure what I want to do with my degree once I'm done yet but ideally would like be in a good position for a well paying job right out of my bachelors degree.

For various reasons I don't wish to peruse a Master's degree at this point in my life and look forward to getting established in a career. What good paying potential careers are there for a BS in Math? What things could I do in my final 18 months to increase my employability as a freshly minted grad?

I plan on living in NYC once I graduate so I considered possibly a job as a Quantitative Analyst, can you get that with BS in math from a state university? Are there other jobs in Finance I'd be qualified for? Also, how about the same questions for Stats?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the bad news is that you most likely will have a hard time getting hired as a Quant with only a Bachelors degree. The good news is that you can get a decent paying job in many other fields when you graduate. Ground floor business and finance positions will probably be your best bet. Just keep in mind, with only a bachelors chances are you'll spend the rest of your years working in a career where you'll do no higher maths. if you're okay with that, than get your resume together and good luck.

Related to Applied Math Careers(Finance, Statstics,etc)

1. What careers are available in the field of applied math, specifically in finance?

Some common careers in the field of applied math in finance include financial analyst, risk analyst, actuary, and quantitative analyst.

2. What skills are required for a career in applied math in the finance industry?

Proficiency in mathematics, statistics, and computer programming are essential for a career in applied math in finance. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also important.

3. Is a degree in applied math necessary for a career in finance?

While a degree in applied math is not always required, it can be beneficial for certain careers in finance such as actuary or quantitative analyst. Many employers also prefer candidates with a strong background in math and statistics.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement in applied math careers in finance?

Yes, there are many opportunities for advancement in applied math careers in finance. With experience and additional education, individuals can move up to more senior positions such as financial manager or chief risk officer.

5. What industries besides finance utilize applied math professionals?

Applied math professionals are also in demand in industries such as insurance, healthcare, technology, and government. Any field that requires data analysis and risk assessment can benefit from the skills of an applied math expert.