Applied Calculus problem-1st year engineering

In summary, the equations given and boundary conditions are used to find the deflection, y(x), of the beam at the free end.
greentlc
Recall that the bending moment, M, at a distance, x meters, from the fixed end of a cantilever beam is given in terms of the second derivative of the deflection, y, of the beam. Determine the deflection,y, of the beam at the free end of the beam. Assume that the beam is perpendicular to the wall at the fixed end of the beam.

Given equations:

M=EId2y/dx2

M= -12x2+96x-192

E = 222,000 N/m2
I = 0.275m4

My Attempt:

Integrate this function:

d2y = -12x2+96x-192/EI to get

dy=1/EI*(-4x3+48x2-192x+C)

I know I need to solve for the constant of integration, and then integrate the function once more to solve for y. I don't know what values to use for x and M. Is M(0)=0??

Any help is greatly appreciated

greentlc

[

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, the first integral would be the shear, so M(0)=0 means nothing here. I need to know the shear value for a certain x value.

thanks again

greentic: If y(x) represents the deflection of the beam at any point x along the length of the beam, then dy/dy is called the slope of the beam. If the slope is differentiated, so that d2y/dx2 is obtained, this quantity is proportional to the bending moment M(x). For this beam, M(x) is given in the second eqn. above. If the beam is built into and perpendicular to a wall at the fixed end, what must its slope be?

SteamKing:

thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was definitely a little confused. The slope at x=0 is 0. From there I can find the constant. Then differentiate once more. This will give me y(x), where y(0)=0 to find C. Then y(4)=deflection at the end of the beam.

Is this correct?

Thanks again
greentlc

greentic: Your selection of 0 slope at x = 0 is correct. However, you are given M(x) and asked to find y(x). Since M(x) is proportional to d2y/dx2, then you must integrate M(x) to find slope (x) and then integrate slope (x) to find y(x), using your boundary conditions at each step to solve for the constant of integration.

Related to Applied Calculus problem-1st year engineering

1. What is the purpose of studying Applied Calculus in 1st year engineering?

The purpose of studying Applied Calculus in 1st year engineering is to develop a strong foundation in calculus and its applications in engineering. This will help students solve complex engineering problems and make accurate predictions about real-world situations.

2. What are some common topics covered in Applied Calculus for 1st year engineering students?

Some common topics covered in Applied Calculus for 1st year engineering students include limits, derivatives, integrals, optimization, and applications of derivatives and integrals in engineering problems.

3. How does Applied Calculus differ from traditional Calculus courses?

Applied Calculus differs from traditional Calculus courses in that it focuses on the application of calculus concepts to real-world problems, rather than just theoretical concepts. It also emphasizes the use of technology and computer software to solve problems.

4. What are some common challenges students face when learning Applied Calculus in 1st year engineering?

Some common challenges students face when learning Applied Calculus in 1st year engineering include understanding the application of calculus concepts, mastering the use of technology and computer software, and applying calculus to new and complex problems.

5. How can students prepare for success in Applied Calculus in 1st year engineering?

Students can prepare for success in Applied Calculus in 1st year engineering by practicing regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas, and staying organized and up-to-date with assignments and lectures.