Applications of electromagnetism

In summary, the magnetic force that the Earth exerts on a compass needle must be equal to the force that the compass needle exerts on Earth, according to Newton's action-reaction principle. This is because the compass needle is a small object and the Earth is a much larger object, but both objects still experience equal and opposite forces according to Newton's third law.
ksmalls

Homework Statement

Is the magnetic force the Earth exerts on a compass needle greater than, equal to, or less that the force the compass needle exerts on Earth? Explain.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to analyze the forces as if they behaved as Newton's forces, i.e. by stating that in an action reaction pair the forces must be equal and opposite. I started to compare the magnetic forces to action reaction pairs in gravity, and how a force that Earth exerts on a falling object equals the force that said object exerts on Earth. However, I'm not sure if that's correct because I don't know if magnetic forces behave the same way as magnetic forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I'm not sure if that's correct because I don't know if magnetic forces behave the same way as magnetic forces.
I hope so (bold from me) ;).

Newton's laws apply to all types of forces.

Related to Applications of electromagnetism

1. What are some common examples of applications of electromagnetism?

Some common examples of applications of electromagnetism include electric motors, generators, transformers, radios, televisions, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

2. How does electromagnetism play a role in everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in many aspects of everyday life, such as powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and making communication possible through radio waves and cell phones.

3. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are two aspects of the same fundamental force known as electromagnetism. Moving electric charges (electricity) create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents (magnetism).

4. How is electromagnetism used in the field of medicine?

Electromagnetism has numerous medical applications, including MRI machines that use strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce images of the body's internal structures. It is also used in treatments such as transcranial magnetic stimulation for neurological disorders and electromagnetic therapy for bone healing.

5. What are some potential future applications of electromagnetism?

Some potential future applications of electromagnetism include wireless power transfer, electromagnetic propulsion for space travel, and advanced technologies for energy production and storage. Researchers are also exploring the use of electromagnetism in medical treatments such as targeted drug delivery and non-invasive brain stimulation.