Applications of coupled pendulums

In summary, coupled pendulums have real-world applications in fields such as physics and physical chemistry, where they are used to model and calculate the behavior of coupled oscillator systems, such as molecular thermal vibrations.
devansh rathi
I have done an experiment changing the mass ratio of coupled pendulums. To conclude I need real world applications for the coupled pendulums. But, i cannot find it online. So, it would be really helpful is someone could give examples of this. THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "coupled pendulums applications" and (besides your own posts :smile: ) you see a few useful links.

devansh rathi said:
I have done an experiment changing the mass ratio of coupled pendulums. To conclude I need real world applications for the coupled pendulums. But, i cannot find it online. So, it would be really helpful is someone could give examples of this. THANKS!

For example, if a physicist or physical chemist wants to calculate the wavelengths of infrared (thermal) radiation that a gaseous substance is able to absorb and emit, they will use the exact same mathematics that are used when calculating the normal modes of a coupled pendulum system. This is because molecular thermal vibrations can be seen as a type of coupled oscillator system.

Related to Applications of coupled pendulums

1. How do coupled pendulums work?

Coupled pendulums work by connecting two or more pendulums together with a common support or pivot point. This allows the pendulums to interact with each other and exhibit complex movements and patterns.

2. What are the real-world applications of coupled pendulums?

Coupled pendulums have many practical applications in science and engineering. They are often used to study and model complex systems, such as the motion of molecules in a gas or the synchronization of fireflies.

3. How can coupled pendulums be used to demonstrate resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon where a system vibrates at its natural frequency when subjected to an external force. Coupled pendulums are a great way to demonstrate this concept, as the pendulums will synchronize their motion when the frequencies of their swings match.

4. Can coupled pendulums be used to generate energy?

Yes, coupled pendulums can be used to generate energy through the principle of resonance. When the pendulums are set into motion, they will eventually reach a state of resonance where their swings are perfectly synchronized. This synchronized motion can be harnessed to generate electricity.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using coupled pendulums?

One limitation of coupled pendulums is that they are sensitive to external factors such as air resistance and friction, which can affect their motion and accuracy. Additionally, the complexity of the system can make it difficult to predict and control the movements of the pendulums.