Application for exponential distribution

In summary, the probability of the time to finish the operation being greater than 2 hours can be found by integrating the exponential probability function and using the formula 1 - P(Y<=2). This results in e^-1 as the final probability.
Askhwhelp
The amount of time to finish a operation has an exponential distribution with mean 2 hours
Find the probability that the time to finish the operation is greater than 2 hours.

My thinking is to integrate the exponential probability function. After integrating it, I got -e^{-y/2} + 1 , 0 ≤ y < ∞

Then I use 1 - P(Y<=2) = 1 - (-e^{-2/2} +1) = e^-1

Is my approach correct? If so, could you check my answer please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Askhwhelp said:
The amount of time to finish a operation has an exponential distribution with mean 2 hours
Find the probability that the time to finish the operation is greater than 2 hours.

My thinking is to integrate the exponential probability function. After integrating it, I got -e^{-y/2} + 1 , 0 ≤ y < ∞

Then I use 1 - P(Y<=2) = 1 - (-e^{-2/2} +1) = e^-1

Is my approach correct? If so, could you check my answer please?

Yes, it is correct.

Related to Application for exponential distribution

What is an exponential distribution?

An exponential distribution is a probability distribution that describes the time between events in a Poisson process. It is used to model events that occur randomly and independently at a constant average rate.

When is an exponential distribution used?

An exponential distribution is commonly used in the fields of probability and statistics to model real-world phenomena such as the length of time between phone calls, arrival times at a hospital, or the lifetime of a product. It is also useful in survival analysis to model time to failure.

What are the characteristics of an exponential distribution?

An exponential distribution is characterized by a single parameter, lambda (λ), which represents the average rate of events occurring. It is a continuous distribution with a range of 0 to infinity. The shape of the distribution is skewed to the right, with a long tail on the positive side.

How is an exponential distribution different from a normal distribution?

Unlike a normal distribution, an exponential distribution is not symmetrical and has a longer tail on the positive side. It also has only one parameter, whereas a normal distribution has two (mean and standard deviation). Additionally, the values in an exponential distribution must be positive, whereas a normal distribution can have negative values.

How do you calculate probabilities using an exponential distribution?

To calculate probabilities using an exponential distribution, you can use the formula P(X ≤ x) = 1 - e^(-λx), where x is the desired value and λ is the average rate of events occurring. You can also use statistical software or lookup tables to find probabilities for specific values.