Appearance of new information: mirror of collapse?

In summary: In MWI, there is no need to inject additional information, because the wavefunctions ALWAYS covers ALL the posibilities, forming the Universum. And Universum has 0 information. That's is, there is no information in the God's view in MWI!
nomadreid
Gold Member
A lot has been written about the relative merits of decoherence versus the many-worlds theory in answering the question: where does the extra information go when a superposed state "collapses" to a definite state. However, what about the reverse: when the definite state returns to a new superposed state, where does the new information come from? For the decoherence advocates, I can imagine an answer that it comes from the environment, but for the many-worlds theory, I cannot imagine an answer.
I suspect I am on the wrong track altogether, and would like to be put straight. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In MWI, there is no need to inject additional information, because the wavefunctions ALWAYS covers ALL the posibilities, forming the Universum. And Universum has 0 information. That's is, there is no information in the God's view in MWI!

Example:
We are in the 'Universe' of integer numbers.
Look at a list: 3,444
It contains some information, right?
Now add more numbers: 3,444,54032823, 9349349, 55858
It has more information, right?
So the more numbers we add, the more information we have?
But look at list

All numbers except 44,55,66
All numbers except 44,55
All numbers except 44
All integer numbers!

Filling last 'holes' you reduce information by adding numbers. Finally, all integer numbers contain the same information as an empty set - nothing! So Universum does not contain any information.

Additional notes:
1. MWI is based on the Decoherence.
2. In MWI information exists - on observer's level. As observer always has limited view (small finite list of numbers in my toy example) he has some information.

Yes another example. Imagine 2 people playing chess, recording their moves. But if they play for infinite time or there are infinite number of partners, playing all possible moves, then the whole game is reduced to the list of rules, there is no information

Last edited:
nomadreid said:
A lot has been written about the relative merits of decoherence versus the many-worlds theory in answering the question: where does the extra information go when a superposed state "collapses" to a definite state. However, what about the reverse: when the definite state returns to a new superposed state, where does the new information come from? For the decoherence advocates, I can imagine an answer that it comes from the environment, but for the many-worlds theory, I cannot imagine an answer.
I suspect I am on the wrong track altogether, and would like to be put straight. Thanks.
When measurement is performed possibility is reduced to certainty. That is increase in information. What you lose are possibilities not information.

zonde said:
When measurement is performed possibility is reduced to certainty. That is increase in information. What you lose are possibilities not information.

Unless you have MWI, in which case you simply limit your personal observations, but the possibilities remain.

Also I don't understand this oart of the question:

nomadreid said:
relative merits of decoherence versus the many-worlds theory

because MWI is a logical consequence of Decoherence (not the only option, but anyway)

MWI can also be said to not only describe all the possible futures that can come from an event, but also all possible histories that led up to it. I hope this answeres the question.

Geigerclick said:
Unless you have MWI, in which case you simply limit your personal observations, but the possibilities remain.
As long as my personal observations are limited to one particular world possibilities are lost in that particular world.

zonde said:
As long as my personal observations are limited to one particular world possibilities are lost in that particular world.

That is a valid philosophical position, but not a physical one in this hypothetical scenario.

Related to Appearance of new information: mirror of collapse?

1. What is the "mirror of collapse" theory?

The mirror of collapse theory suggests that the appearance of new information in a system is a sign of an impending collapse or major shift in that system.

2. How does this theory relate to science?

This theory has been applied to various scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and economics, to explain sudden changes or breakthroughs in understanding.

3. Can you provide an example of the "mirror of collapse" in action?

One example is the sudden appearance of new species during periods of mass extinction, suggesting a collapse of existing ecosystems and the emergence of new ones.

4. Is this theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

The "mirror of collapse" theory is still a topic of debate among scientists, with some supporting evidence and others questioning its validity.

5. How can this theory be applied to everyday life?

This theory can be applied to personal and societal changes, such as the sudden emergence of new technologies or social movements, as a potential sign of larger shifts or collapses in our systems.