Apparent weight lab: oscillations and v(t) graph

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where data was collected for the change in apparent weight of a 1kg mass during an elevator ride. The data showed oscillations caused by doubled up rubber bands, but the velocity and position plots were smooth. The individual asks if the formula mx"(t)+γx(t)+kx(t)=Fcosωt can be applied to find a formula for the oscillations, and why the velocity plot overshot at the end of the elevator ride. They also mention using g((w-wo)/wo) to find acceleration and integrating for velocity and position, but want to know if there is a way to create plots without as much oscillation. They consider using mx"(t)+γx
TheTangent

Homework Statement

In a lab I collected data for change in apparent weight of a ~1kg mass during an elevator ride. The mass was suspended from the scale by doubled up rubber bands. This caused plenty of oscillations in the data. Can i apply the form mx"(t)+γx(t)+kx(t)=Fcosωt to this situation to find some kind a formula for the oscillations?

The velocity and position plots were smooth. Why is this? Does this mean I don't need to consider the rubber band oscillations?
Also, my v(t) graph overshot at the end. It is significantly above zero at the end of the elevator ride up, when it should have measured stationary. Why is this? How can I fix it?

Homework Equations

mx"(t)+γx(t)+kx(t)=Fcosωt
g((w-wo)/wo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I had F(t) data and mass. I used g((w-wo)/wo) to find acceleration, and integrated for velocity and position (in Graphical Analysis). But as the goals of the experiment seem not to be about achieving a bunch of annoying oscillations in data that is trying to communicate something else, I want to know if I can create F(t) and a(t) plots that do not oscillate so much.

For the v(t) graph, the lab sheet mention something about making the final velocity zero. Of course, tacking on a zero velocity at the end of the v(t) data didn't do anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
The graph still overshot. Maybe I could use the formula mx"(t)+γx(t)+kx(t)=Fcosωt to help dampen the oscillations and make the final velocity zero?But I'm not sure if it can be applied to this situation, or how to apply it. Any help is appreciated!

Related to Apparent weight lab: oscillations and v(t) graph

1. What is the purpose of an "apparent weight lab" in regards to oscillations and v(t) graph?

The purpose of an apparent weight lab is to experimentally explore the relationship between an object's apparent weight and its motion in simple harmonic oscillations. This is done by measuring the object's weight at different points in its oscillatory motion and creating a v(t) graph to analyze its velocity at each point.

2. How do you set up an apparent weight lab for studying oscillations and v(t) graph?

To set up an apparent weight lab, you will need a spring, a mass, and a ruler or motion sensor. Attach the mass to the spring and hang it from a fixed point. Then, use the ruler or motion sensor to measure the position and velocity of the mass as it oscillates.

3. What is the relationship between an object's apparent weight and its position in simple harmonic oscillations?

In simple harmonic motion, an object experiences a changing apparent weight due to the restoring force of the spring. As the object moves towards the equilibrium position, its apparent weight decreases, and as it moves away from the equilibrium position, its apparent weight increases.

4. How can a v(t) graph be used to analyze an object's motion in simple harmonic oscillations?

A v(t) graph shows the velocity of an object over time. In simple harmonic motion, the velocity of the object is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that the v(t) graph will have a sinusoidal shape, and the amplitude of the graph can be used to determine the object's maximum velocity and displacement.

5. What factors can affect an object's apparent weight in simple harmonic oscillations?

The apparent weight of an object in simple harmonic motion can be affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillations. Other external factors, such as air resistance, may also have an impact on the object's apparent weight.