App suggestions for practicing mathematics?

In summary: A comprehensive app that focuses on teaching and practicing various math topics, starting from the basics and gradually getting more advanced.In summary, the conversation was about finding a quality app to practice and learn various math topics on a mobile device. Despite a search on the Play Store, the results were unsatisfactory with only basic arithmetic and kids' apps available. The discussion then shifted to suggestions for a suitable app, with the requester specifying a desire for something more advanced than basic arithmetic. One recommendation was Elevate, but it was deemed too similar to general brain training apps. The requester is looking for a comprehensive app that teaches and practices various math topics from basic to advanced, similar to how Duolingo teaches languages.
orb_yt
I was browsing the Play Store early this morning looking for a quality app that would allow me to practice and learn various mathematic topics on my mobile device. Surprisingly, none of the results were very good. There were a few basic "flash card" type applications with basic arithmetic, and some apps for kids.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality app to practice various mathematic topics on my mobile device?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
What level are you looking for?

I noticed that this thread was moved from the Math forums to Computing..I don't think this was the right move.

Regardless, beginner to intermediate/advanced. Something more difficult than the basic arithmetic found in the apps that were returned in the search results that seemed to be geared for kids.

Elevate is the one and only choice for me, check it out, it might be what you're looking for. It provides awesomely designed and prepared math-related (and many other) challenges that start simple and get more complicated depending on how good is your progress. Although, as one of the posters above mentioned, depends on the type of math you seek to practice.

AshtonAsh said:
Elevate is the one and only choice for me, check it out, it might be what you're looking for. It provides awesomely designed and prepared math-related (and many other) challenges that start simple and get more complicated depending on how good is your progress. Although, as one of the posters above mentioned, depends on the type of math you seek to practice.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Elevate seems similar to general "Brain Training" apps like Luminosity where it's really just memory games and such.

I'm essentially looking for the Duolingo of math.

Related to App suggestions for practicing mathematics?

1. What are the best apps for practicing basic math skills?

Some of the best apps for practicing basic math skills include Khan Academy, Math Playground, and Prodigy. These apps offer a variety of activities and games to help improve skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Are there any apps that can help with more advanced math concepts?

Yes, there are several apps that can help with more advanced math concepts, such as Photomath, Wolfram Alpha, and Desmos. These apps can assist with algebra, geometry, calculus, and more.

3. Can these apps be used by all ages?

Yes, there are apps available for all ages and skill levels. Many apps offer different levels or customization options to cater to different age groups and abilities.

4. Are these apps free to use?

Some of the apps mentioned may have a free version available, but many also offer a premium version with additional features and activities. It is important to check the app's pricing before downloading.

5. Can these apps be used as a substitute for traditional math practice?

While these apps can be a valuable supplement to traditional math practice, they should not be used as the sole source of learning. It is important for students to also engage in hands-on activities and receive instruction from a teacher for a well-rounded learning experience.