AP Physics C Projectile Question

In summary: I get 3.58 seconds too.Anyway: t = \sqrt{\frac{128}{g}}Where did 128 come from? I get 63/9.81 = 6.4246. Heh, I think they're wrong anyway. I get 5.04 seconds. Someone else check me so I can go back to doing nothing. :wink:I get 3.58 seconds too.Anyway: t = \sqrt{\frac{128}{g}}I think you're thinking of this(for the maximum height):t = 2v_0/gAnd for the time of flight it would be:t = v_0/gI think he made a
Musicman
A projectile is fired horizontally from a gun that is 63.0 m above flat ground. The muzzle velocity is 250 m/s.

(a) How long does the projectile remain in the air? (in seconds)
I got 3.96 s

(b) At what horizontal distance from the firing point does it strike the ground? ( in meters) I got 19.44 m

(c) What is the magnitude of the vertical component of its velocity as it strikes the ground? I got 187 m

because v(x) is a constant and v sub zero is zero in the vertical direction

i did 63=.5(9.8)t^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Musicman said:
A projectile is fired horizontally from a gun that is 63.0 m above flat ground. The muzzle velocity is 250 m/s.

(a) How long does the projectile remain in the air? (in seconds)
I got 3.96 s

(b) At what horizontal distance from the firing point does it strike the ground? ( in meters) I got 19.44 m

(c) What is the magnitude of the vertical component of its velocity as it strikes the ground? I got 187 m
What value are you using for g?

Part a. is correct, the other two parts are not. Where are you having trouble?

actually 3.58 s is the time

0rthodontist said:
Part a. is correct, the other two parts are not. Where are you having trouble?
I think he's is off slightly, I get 3.58 seconds.

Edit: Just seen your revised post now Musicman :smile:

Perhaps if you show your working for the remaining two questions.

I assume you want someone to check you answers?

For the first part, I used the formula,
d = -1/2 at^2
where d is the distance the projectile falls, a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.81 m/s^2) and t is the time it takes to hit the ground.
63 m = -1/2 (-9.81 m/s^2) * t^2
t = sqrt (63 / 4.905) = sqrt (12.844)
t = 3.58 seconds

For the 2nd part, I used my answer for time in the first part along with this formula,
d = v*t
where d is the horizontal distance traveled, v is the constant horizontal velocity (250 m/s), and t is the time (3.58 s).
d = 895.96 meters

For part (c),
I assumed the horizontal component of the velocity was constant, only the vertical component changed from the intial to final states. To calculate the final vertical velocity, I used the following formula,
v = a*t
where v is the velocity after a constant acceleration (9.81 m/s^2 due to gravity) is experienced for a time t (3.58 s),
v = 9.81 m/s^2 * 3.58 s
v = 35.12 m/s

Then I added the two velocity vectors together (horizontal and vertical components) using the Pythagorean theorem to get the final, overall, velocity's magnitude,
v = 252.45 m/s

Last edited:
Cum on mrjeffy, don't post complete solutions, we can't watch them squirm then! :biggrin:

I get 3.58 seconds too.
Anyway: [tex]t = \sqrt{\frac{128}{g}}[/tex]

but for the 2nd part, wouldn't i use the vertical direction equation
x=(Vo)(t)?

Musicman said:
but for the 2nd part, wouldn't i use the vertical direction equation
x=(Vo)(t)?
The initial vertical velocity is zero. And besides, it is accelerating in the vertical plane (due to gravity). However, you do know that it takes 3.58 seconds to hit the floor. How far horizontally will it have traveled in 3.58 seconds? That is the range, you already know that is travels 63m in the vertical plane. Do you follow?

All while I was typing, a bunch of stuff happened, I was just under the impression he wanted to compare his answers (assuming they were correct) with someone else's.

You initial vertical velocity is zero, so multiplying this by the time will give you zero distance.
Plus, perpendicular vectors (velocities) are independent...the vertical component of velocity does not [directly] effect the horizontal distance traveled.

[tex]x_{max} = v_0t[/tex]

[tex]x_{max} = 250 * 3.58[/tex]

[tex]x_{max} = 895 m[/tex]

Related to AP Physics C Projectile Question

1. What is a projectile in AP Physics C?

A projectile in AP Physics C is any object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air due to the force of gravity. This includes objects such as balls, arrows, and rockets.

2. What is the equation for projectile motion in AP Physics C?

The equation for projectile motion in AP Physics C is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the horizontal distance traveled, x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0 is the initial horizontal velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion in AP Physics C?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion in AP Physics C by slowing down the projectile and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the projectile, causing it to lose speed and potentially change direction.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in AP Physics C projectile question?

Horizontal motion in AP Physics C projectile question refers to the motion of the projectile in the x direction, while vertical motion refers to the motion in the y direction. The equations used to calculate these motions are different, as gravity only affects the vertical motion.

5. How does launch angle affect the range in AP Physics C projectile question?

The launch angle, or the angle at which the projectile is launched, can affect the range in AP Physics C projectile question. A higher launch angle can result in a longer range, while a lower launch angle can result in a shorter range. This is because the launch angle affects the initial velocity and direction of the projectile, which in turn affects its trajectory and distance traveled.