AP Physics C lab involving incline planes featuring motion laws

In summary, the problem involves a ping pong ball rolling off an incline plane on top of a table and hitting a dot on the floor. The table is 90cm tall and the dot has a diameter of 2cm. The table is 46cm horizontally from the center of the dot. The relevant equations for solving this problem are rotational energy and mgh, and the goal is to find the height of the ramp. However, it may be more effective to work backwards and find the velocity/angle needed for the ball to hit the dot and then calculate the ramp height. The mass of the ping pong ball also needs to be taken into account.
godmodex

Homework Statement

A dot on the floor with a diameter of 2cm.

A table that is at a distance of 46cm horizontally from the center of said dot.

The table is 90cm tall.

The meat of the problem: A ping pong ball rolls off an incline plane (a wooden board) that is on top of the table. The incline plane must be some height. The ball must hit the table before it flies off the edge of the table. The ping pong ball must hit the dot on the floor.

Homework Equations

These are the formulas I believe to lead me to the answer:Rotational energy: 1/2(moment of inertia)(angular velocity)^2

mgh = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought a simple formula of v=2√(height1)(height2) would solve it, until I realized that it is only for objects having no mass...

I am stumped on how to go about finding the appropriate variables in finding the height of the ramp.

Primarily finding angular velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I am misunderstanding the setup, it seems to me rotational mechanics won't do you much good.

Wouldn't it be better to find the velocity/angle that the ping pong ball would have to bounce off the table to land on the dot and then work backwards to figure out the ramp height?

Dont I have to account for the mass of the ping pong ball?

Related to AP Physics C lab involving incline planes featuring motion laws

1. What is the purpose of conducting an incline plane lab in AP Physics C?

The purpose of conducting an incline plane lab in AP Physics C is to explore the principles of motion laws, specifically Newton's laws of motion, in a real-life scenario. By studying the motion of objects on an incline plane, students can better understand how forces, mass, and acceleration interact to produce motion.

2. How do you set up an incline plane lab for AP Physics C?

To set up an incline plane lab for AP Physics C, you will need an inclined plane, a cart or object to roll down the plane, a stopwatch, and a meterstick or ruler. The inclined plane should be set at a specific angle, and the cart should be released from the top of the incline. The distance and time measurements should be taken as the cart rolls down the incline.

3. What data should be collected during an incline plane lab in AP Physics C?

The data that should be collected during an incline plane lab in AP Physics C includes the distance traveled by the cart on the incline plane, the time it takes for the cart to reach the bottom of the incline, and the angle of the incline plane. This data can then be used to calculate the acceleration, force, and mass of the cart.

4. How do you analyze the data collected in an incline plane lab for AP Physics C?

To analyze the data collected in an incline plane lab for AP Physics C, students should create a graph of distance vs. time. The slope of the graph will represent the acceleration of the cart. Using this data, students can also calculate the force of gravity and the mass of the cart using Newton's second law of motion.

5. What are some possible sources of error in an incline plane lab for AP Physics C?

Some possible sources of error in an incline plane lab for AP Physics C include friction between the cart and the incline plane, air resistance, and human error in measuring the distance and time. To minimize these errors, it is important to conduct multiple trials, average the data, and make sure the equipment is set up correctly. Additionally, using a low-friction material for the incline plane and using a photogate to measure time can also reduce errors.