Anyone mention good electronics textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a suitable electronics textbook for an undergraduate student. The popular textbook, Millman & Halkias, is not recommended and the poster asks for suggestions for more "readable" textbooks. The syllabus includes topics such as FET, multistage amplifier, oscillators, OPAMP, combinational & sequential logic, communication principles, several instruments and microprocessor. The recommendation is to get different books for different topics, with at least three books needed to cover all the topics. Some specific book suggestions are also given for various topics.
runninglow
i have been looking for an electronics textbook for a while.i am an undergraduate student.
already tried the popular millman & halkias.it stinks.can anyone mention the names of some "readable" textbooks?my syllabus covers topics like FET,multistage amplifier,oscillators, OPAMP,combinational & sequential logic,communication principles,several instruments and microprocessor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everybody physicst will recommend Horowitz+Hill "Art of Electronics", it's a very practical how to build circuits manual for electronic engineering. I can't recommend anything for more detailed/theoretical coverage.

mgb_phys said:
Everybody physicst will recommend Horowitz+Hill "Art of Electronics", it's a very practical how to build circuits manual for electronic engineering. I can't recommend anything for more detailed/theoretical coverage.

H&H is a good intro text for self-study. Here is a fun thread where we took advantage of one of the features of the text:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

runninglow said:
i have been looking for an electronics textbook for a while.i am an undergraduate student.
already tried the popular millman & halkias.it stinks.can anyone mention the names of some "readable" textbooks?my syllabus covers topics like FET,multistage amplifier,oscillators, OPAMP,combinational & sequential logic,communication principles,several instruments and microprocessor.

I think you should get different books for different topics. You include logic with transistors, opamps etc. They are as different as night and day. If you get an all in one, I am not sure you get what you want.

I don't have any suggestion, I learn this too long ago already. I am studying RF and Microwave. I buy so many books just on one topic. My experience is each book have good and bad section, I need min 3 book on this topic. I am studying Electromagnetics and I have 7 books and I use 3 mostly and reference the others, and is not one too many!

You need to look for atleast 3 books to cover these topics

FET,multistage amplifier,oscillators, combinational & sequential logic - Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Robert L. Boylestad and Louis Nashelsky

Opamp - Design with operational amplifiers and analog integrated circuits by Sergio Franco

communication principles- Communication systems by simon haykin

Hope this will help

Related to Anyone mention good electronics textbook

1. What are the key topics covered in a good electronics textbook?

A good electronics textbook will cover topics such as basic circuit analysis, semiconductor devices, digital electronics, microcontrollers, and communication systems.

2. How can I determine if a textbook is suitable for my level of understanding?

You can determine if a textbook is suitable for your level of understanding by checking the pre-requisites listed in the book and reading the table of contents to see if you are familiar with the concepts.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners in electronics?

Yes, there are many recommended textbooks for beginners in electronics such as "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert L. Boylestad and Louis Nashelsky.

4. Can I find free or affordable electronic textbooks online?

Yes, there are many websites that offer free or affordable electronic textbooks such as OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and Bookboon.

5. Are there any textbooks that focus on practical applications rather than theory?

Yes, there are textbooks that focus on practical applications in electronics such as "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill and "Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius" by Dave Cutcher.