Anyone know of a good free graphics program?

In summary, the conversation discusses various options for downloadable programs that can serve as alternatives to expensive software like Adobe Photoshop. The options mentioned include using a trial version of Photoshop, finding fake cd keys online, trying out The Gimp, and using other programs such as Dia or Inkscape for specific needs. Overall, The Gimp is recommended as a decent and free alternative, although some people may find its interface and features more challenging to use compared to mainstream programs like Photoshop.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
MS paint really isn't up to the job sometimes, and I can't afford the latest Adobe Photoshop.

Does anyone know of any downloadable programs that are anywhere near decent?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can download photoshop trial version. I hear that some people then find fake cd keys on the internet to unlock the full version. I, however, would not recommend doing that at all, because it amounts to stealing, and that would be wrong.

Try The Gimp

Many people say it's almost as good as photoshop, and it's free and open source! From what I hear, it's not the easiest program to use though.

Jelfish said:
Try The Gimp

Many people say it's almost as good as photoshop, and it's free and open source! From what I hear, it's not the easiest program to use though.

Here is a link to the Window's version of it: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html . Install both the GTK runtime and the main program to get it to work.

It isn't too terribly difficult to use, but it is a very powerful program. Its about as difficult to use as photoshop and the other mainstream programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with GIMP too.

I knew a gimp, but he could draw about as well as he could walk.

I also would recommend GIMP. The only big complaint I've heard is that it only has RGB, not CMYK editing, which is not a problem for anything I've done. Another common complaint is that the interface is difficult to use, but there is enough online documentation, that with a little effort you should be able to learn where anything is.

I like Dia for simple diagrams: http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/". Or you could look at Inkscape if you're into more complicated vector graphics (I've never used it though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. The Gimp seems pretty good.

Related to Anyone know of a good free graphics program?

1. What are some good free graphics programs available?

Some popular free graphics programs include GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, and Paint.NET.

2. Are these free graphics programs easy to use?

Most of these programs have user-friendly interfaces and offer tutorials and community support to help users learn how to use them.

3. Can these free graphics programs be used for professional work?

Yes, many professionals use these free graphics programs for their work. They offer a wide range of tools and features that can produce high-quality designs and illustrations.

4. Are there any limitations to using free graphics programs?

Some free graphics programs may have limited features compared to paid programs, but they still offer a variety of tools and options for creating graphics.

5. Are there any risks associated with downloading free graphics programs?

It is important to download free graphics programs from reputable sources to avoid potential risks such as malware or viruses. It is also recommended to read reviews and do some research before downloading any program.