Anyone heard of a book titled S=k ln W ?

• Thread starter arwright3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Ln
In summary, a graduate student is looking for a short book titled "S=k ln W" that was recommended by their professor, but they are having trouble finding it. They believe it may be related to statistical mechanics and possibly written by Ludwig Boltzmann, but cannot find any information about it online. Another book with a similar title has been suggested, but it is longer and not written by a German author.
arwright3
Anyone heard of a book titled "S=k ln W"?

Hi,

An old prof. of mine suggested an SM book he read in grad school that was titled "S=k ln W". He didn't remember the author, but said it was pretty short (~100 pages) and was a really good read for a grad class in SM. I've been trying to find this book, but no luck so far, I can't even find any mention of it online. Anyone heard of this book or possibly know who the author is?

-Adam

P.S. He is german, so there is a chance that this book might have been in german and could have been published under another name in english.

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you mean by SM, Statistical Mechanics.

Other than the equation being the work of Ludwig Boltzmann, and him being a bit of a big cheese in the field of statistical mechanics I can't help. I've done a quick google and I can't find a list of Boltzmann's publications, but maybe this was something of his?

The only book I can think of with that on the cover is https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812832254/?tag=pfamazon01-20. But it is 250 pages. The author's larger book A Farewell To Entropy is better than the shorter version above. Also he isn't German... so this is probably a different book.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Adam,

Thank you for sharing this information. I have not personally heard of this book before, but after doing some research, I believe the book you are referring to is "The Statistical Mechanics of Financial Markets" by Johannes Voit. It was originally published in German under the title "Die Statistische Mechanik Der Finanzmärkte" and later translated into English. The title "S=k ln W" is a reference to Boltzmann's entropy formula, which is used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a system. This book applies these principles to the financial market, providing insights into the dynamics of market prices and fluctuations. I hope this helps!

Related to Anyone heard of a book titled S=k ln W ?

1. What is the book "S=k ln W" about?

The book "S=k ln W" is about the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It explores how this concept is related to the laws of thermodynamics and how it applies to various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. Who is the author of "S=k ln W"?

The author of "S=k ln W" is Rudolf Clausius, a German physicist and mathematician who is known for his work on thermodynamics and the concept of entropy. He first introduced the equation S=k ln W in 1865 in his paper "The Mechanical Theory of Heat".

3. Is "S=k ln W" a difficult book to understand?

It depends on the reader's background knowledge in thermodynamics and mathematics. The book may be challenging for those without a strong foundation in these subjects, but it is written in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to a wide range of readers.

4. How does the equation S=k ln W relate to entropy?

The equation S=k ln W is known as the Boltzmann entropy formula, and it relates to entropy through the second law of thermodynamics. It states that the entropy of a system tends to increase over time, and the equation helps to quantify this increase in terms of the number of possible microstates (W) and the Boltzmann constant (k).

5. Can "S=k ln W" be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the equation S=k ln W has numerous practical applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to analyze and understand thermodynamic processes, chemical reactions, and even biological systems such as living organisms. It has been a fundamental concept in the development of modern science and technology.