Anyone familiar with Peano' (or Grassman) algebra?

In summary: Just let me know and I'll move it to another section.In summary, the professor has assigned several proof questions, and I'm having difficulty answering them. I'm an engineer, not a mathematician, and I'm having difficulty understanding the terminology. Terminology: v is a join operation, ^ is a meet operation D[] is a bracket operation. The meet is the intersection of the two subspaces, and the brackets are needed to show that the two subspaces are not equal. If the sets are independant, and \alpha a_1 + \beta a_2 = 0, then \alpha \ and \ \beta need to be zero because independancy implies a_1 \ and \ a_2 are not equal
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm an engineer, not a mathematician...

the professor has assigned several proof questions, and I'm having difficulty answering them...

(This may need to be moved to homework help, but the topic is unusual, so I thought I'd get better response here)

Terminology: v is a join operation, ^ is a meet operation D[] is a bracket operation

Example:

Show that when:

[tex] A = a_1 \vee a_2, B = b_1 \vee b_2, \ and\ n = 2 [/tex]

then

[tex] A \wedge B = -D[a_2 , b_1 , b_2] a_1 + D[a_1 , b_1 , b_2] a_2 [/tex]
[tex]= D[a_1 , a_2 , b_2] b_1 - D[a_1 , a_2 , b_1] b_2 [/tex]

If the meet is zero, then assuming that the sets [itex] (a_1, a_2) [/itex] and [itex] (b_1, b_2) [/itex] are both independent, the four brackets must be zero. Show that, in this case, the two subspaces [itex] A_s[/itex] and [itex] B_s [/itex] are the same.

Now, proving the first part is fairly simple: just run though the definition of the meet.

I'm having difficulty with the second part. I thought that the definition of the meet is the intersection of the two subspaces. If the subspaces are the equal, then wouldn't the meet be either As or Bs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answering my own question somewhat:

OK. If the sets are independant, and [itex] \alpha a_1 + \beta a_2 = 0[/itex] , then [itex] \alpha \ and \ \beta[/itex] need to be zero because independancy implies [itex]a_1 \ and \ a_2[/itex] are not equal.

If [itex] D[a_i, b_i, b_j] \ and \ D[a_i, a_j, b_i] [/itex] are zero for any combination of i and j, that means that the two subspaces A and B are linearly dependant for any combination of bases. This must mean that they are the same subspace.

Is that correct?

Pardon my ignorance; I have barely ever done any reading on Grassman algebra. I probably won't be able to help you. But what is the definition of n?

n is the number of dimensions in addition to the projective plane: PA[Rn+1], where PA represents peano algebra.

so, the dimensions of a two dimensional projective space is PA[R2+1] corresponding to e0 e1 and e2 as the three coordinates, with e1 being the x direction, e2 being the y direction and e0 being the perspective direction.

*I hope I'm not botching up my terminology here...*

Ummm

I'll get back to you in a few weeks on this.

You must know the answer by now! If you have time, could you sketch it out for us? If you're too busy, that's understandable.

Related to Anyone familiar with Peano' (or Grassman) algebra?

1. What is Peano algebra?

Peano algebra, also known as Peano arithmetic, is a formal system of mathematical logic that was developed by Italian mathematician Giuseppe Peano in the late 19th century. It is based on a set of axioms and rules for manipulating symbols to represent mathematical concepts such as numbers, addition, and multiplication.

2. What is Grassman algebra?

Grassman algebra, also known as exterior algebra, is a mathematical framework developed by German mathematician Hermann Grassmann in the 19th century. It extends the traditional concepts of vectors and matrices to include more complex mathematical objects called multivectors, which are useful for solving problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. How are Peano and Grassman algebra related?

Peano and Grassman algebra are both based on the concept of a mathematical system built from a set of axioms and rules. However, while Peano algebra focuses on the properties of numbers and arithmetic operations, Grassman algebra extends these concepts to include more abstract mathematical objects.

4. What are some real-world applications of Peano and Grassman algebra?

Peano and Grassman algebra have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, Peano algebra is used in computer programming languages, while Grassman algebra is used in computer graphics and robotics. Both are also important in the study of mathematical logic and abstract algebra.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using Peano and Grassman algebra?

One challenge with using Peano and Grassman algebra is that they can be difficult to understand and apply, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics. Additionally, these algebraic systems have their own set of rules and properties, which may differ from traditional algebra. However, with proper training and practice, these limitations can be overcome and the benefits of these mathematical frameworks can be realized.