Anyone Ever Get Slimy Substance on Sink Drain Filter that Keeps Coming

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
kyphysics
Back? (completion of thread title, due to hitting space/character limit)?

By sink drain filter, I mean something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9YDY9WS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

By "slimy substance," I mean like a thick throat mucous-like substance when you're sick. It is clear, fluid that is thick and stringy (very sticky and hard to wash entirely off the filter). It coats the filter and keeps coming back and back. Bleach or white vinegar poured over it can temporarily get rid of it, but then that slime will come back within a week or two.

Anyone experience this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe fat in the water trap is reacting with NaOH drain or oven cleaner, to form that slime.
Next, measure the pH of the slime.
Make a list of all chemicals being used or disposed of in that sink.

Prior to that slimy substance, I did dump orange juice soda occasionally into that bathroom sink. I was too lazy to pour it down the kitchen sink. But I figured it wouldn't matter as it's still a sink. Over time, the drain has gotten a weird filth in it and now a white substance the coats it.

Really, it's only been tooth paste, Listerine, bar soap, my saliva, and cleaning agents (rubbing alcohol, bleach, and/or white vinegar) that have gone down. . . .the normal stuff.