Anybody know where I can find more info on parafoils?

• Thread starter guru
  • Start date
In summary, a parafoil is a type of airfoil shaped like a parachute that is used for activities such as skydiving, paragliding, and kite flying. It works by utilizing the principle of aerodynamics to create lift and control for the person or object attached to it. More information on parafoils can be found through resources such as books, articles, and websites. The advantages of using a parafoil include its versatility and portability, but safety concerns should also be considered and proper training and maintenance are necessary for a safe experience.
guru
Anybody know where I can find more info on parafoils: how to determine the type you need for a particular load or descent rate. I'm going to be using a parafoil to steer an object weighing about weighing about 50g. The object has to and at a particular target.

Any help will do. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

There are several resources available online for information on parafoils and their use for steering objects. One helpful source is the website of the United States Parachute Association (USPA), which has a section dedicated to parafoils and their applications. They provide information on the different types of parafoils, their characteristics, and how to select the right one for a specific load or descent rate.

Another useful resource is the manufacturer's website for the parafoil you are planning to use. They should have detailed information on their products and how they can be used for steering objects. Additionally, you can reach out to the manufacturer directly for any specific questions or concerns you may have.

It is also a good idea to consult with experienced parafoil users or instructors who can share their knowledge and expertise with you. They can offer valuable advice on determining the appropriate parafoil for your needs and how to steer it effectively.

I hope this information helps in your search for more information on parafoils. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Anybody know where I can find more info on parafoils?

1. What is a parafoil?

A parafoil is a type of airfoil that is shaped like a parachute and designed to provide lift and control for a person or object in the air. It is commonly used in activities such as skydiving, paragliding, and kite flying.

2. How does a parafoil work?

A parafoil works by utilizing the principle of aerodynamics. As air flows over the curved surface of the parafoil, it creates a difference in air pressure, with higher pressure underneath and lower pressure above. This creates lift, allowing the parafoil to stay aloft and be controlled by the person or object attached to it.

3. Where can I find more information on parafoils?

There are many resources available for learning about parafoils, including books, articles, and websites. Some good places to start include the websites of parafoil manufacturers, as well as online forums and communities dedicated to activities such as skydiving and paragliding.

4. What are the advantages of using a parafoil?

One of the main advantages of using a parafoil is its versatility. It can be used for a variety of activities, from recreational flying to military operations. Additionally, parafoils are relatively simple and lightweight, making them easy to transport and use in different environments.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a parafoil?

As with any activity that involves being in the air, there are some safety concerns to consider when using a parafoil. It is important to receive proper training and follow safety protocols to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Additionally, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the parafoil to ensure it is in good working condition.