Any two fields with 4 elements are isomorphic

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Joseph Rotman's book Advanced Modern Algebra regarding proving the isomorphism between two finite fields with four elements. The conversation provides a detour and claims to prove the isomorphism through a mapping and a field automorphism. It also discusses the addition and multiplication tables for the fields and proves certain claims in support of the isomorphism.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph Rotman's book Advanced Modern Algebra.

I need help with Problem 2.34 on page 101.

Problem 2.34 reads as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Prove that any two fields having exactly four elements are isomorphic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone please help me get started on this problem.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
There is actually a more general version of this theorem for any two finite fields of the same cardinality. But we'll stick to this baby version.

We can denote any such field as $F = \{0,1,a,b\}$.

A small detour:

The mapping $\sigma:F \to F$ given by:

$0 \mapsto 0$
$1 \mapsto 1$
$a \mapsto b$
$b \mapsto a$

is a field automorphism.

Since this is clearly bijective, we only need to show it is a ring homomorphism.

To do this, we need to know what the addition and multiplication tables for $F$ actually are. Sums involving 0 are clear, so we need not investigate those.

A small detour to our detour:

Claim: 1 + 1 = 0.

Since $(F,+)$ is an abelian group, we must have either:

1 + 1 = 0, or 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0. Suppose it is the latter. Then $1 + 1 = a$ (or $b$, but since we haven't specified anything about $a$ or $b$, we'll just say it's $a$). It is then clear that $1 + 1 + 1 = a + 1 = b$.

Now by the distributive law (since we're in a field):

$a\cdot a = (1 + 1)(1 + 1) = (1)(1 + 1) + (1)(1 + 1) = (1 + 1) + (1 + 1) = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0$.

Thus $a$ (which is distinct from 0) is a zero divisor, which cannot happen in a field. This proves our claim.

Claim 2: $x + x = 0$, for all $x \in F$.

Proof: $x + x = x(1) + x(1) = x(1 + 1) = x(0) = 0$ (the proof that $x(0) = 0$ is easy. Do it).

So the additive group $(F,+)$ is isomorphic to $\Bbb Z_2 \times \Bbb Z_2$, under addition modulo 2. This completely determines the addition: for example: $a+1$ cannot be 0 ($a$ is its own additive inverse), it cannot be 1 (since that implies $a = 0$), and it cannot be $a$ (since that implies $0 = 1$ which cannot happen in a field), so $a + 1 = b$.

Since this is "one less letter", we will henceforth write $a+1$ instead of $b$.

Which leads us to multiplication. The products involving 0 or 1 are trivial to define, and I will not bother. That leaves (because of commutativity of the product), just 3 products to investigate:

$a\cdot a$
$a \cdot (a+1)$
$(a+1)\cdot(a+1)$

By the distributive law, once we know $a \cdot a$, we'll know the rest. Now since $(F-\{0\},\cdot)$ forms an abelian group (because we have a field), and this group has 3 elements, it is clear that it is a cyclic group of order 3 (since all groups of order 3 are, since 3 is a prime), so any non-identity element is a generator. This means that:

$a\cdot a \neq 1$, because $a$ must be of (multiplicative) order 3, not order 2. If:

$a \cdot a = a$, then multiplying by $a^{-1}$ yields $a = 1$, which we know isn't true. Thus $a \cdot a = a + 1$.

Now it should be clear that the map $\sigma:F \to F$ above yields a GROUP automorphism of $(F,+)$ (we're just "switching two of the generators of the Klein 4-group"). So we have a FIELD automorphism if and only if $\sigma$ is a group automorphism of the multiplicative group of $F$. But on $F-\{0\}$, the map $\sigma$ is just the inversion map:

$x \mapsto x^{-1}$ (can you see this?)

which is a homomorphism because the multiplicative group is abelian.

Ok, so if we have a second field $F' = \{0',1',a',a'+1\}$, since any ring-homomorphism $\phi$ must take:

$0 \to 0'$
$1 \to 1'$ we either have:

$\phi(a) = a'$
$\phi(a+1) = a'+1$

which is clearly a ring (and thus field) isomorphism, or:

$\phi(a) = a'+1$
$\phi(a+1) = a'$

in which case $\phi \circ \sigma$ is clearly a field isomorphism and thus so is:

$\phi = (\phi \circ \sigma) \circ \sigma^{-1}$

(the composition of two isomorphisms is an isomorphism).

Deveno said:
There is actually a more general version of this theorem for any two finite fields of the same cardinality. But we'll stick to this baby version.

We can denote any such field as $F = \{0,1,a,b\}$.

A small detour:

The mapping $\sigma:F \to F$ given by:

$0 \mapsto 0$
$1 \mapsto 1$
$a \mapsto b$
$b \mapsto a$

is a field automorphism.

Since this is clearly bijective, we only need to show it is a ring homomorphism.

To do this, we need to know what the addition and multiplication tables for $F$ actually are. Sums involving 0 are clear, so we need not investigate those.

A small detour to our detour:

Claim: 1 + 1 = 0.

Since $(F,+)$ is an abelian group, we must have either:

1 + 1 = 0, or 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0. Suppose it is the latter. Then $1 + 1 = a$ (or $b$, but since we haven't specified anything about $a$ or $b$, we'll just say it's $a$). It is then clear that $1 + 1 + 1 = a + 1 = b$.

Now by the distributive law (since we're in a field):

$a\cdot a = (1 + 1)(1 + 1) = (1)(1 + 1) + (1)(1 + 1) = (1 + 1) + (1 + 1) = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0$.

Thus $a$ (which is distinct from 0) is a zero divisor, which cannot happen in a field. This proves our claim.

Claim 2: $x + x = 0$, for all $x \in F$.

Proof: $x + x = x(1) + x(1) = x(1 + 1) = x(0) = 0$ (the proof that $x(0) = 0$ is easy. Do it).

So the additive group $(F,+)$ is isomorphic to $\Bbb Z_2 \times \Bbb Z_2$, under addition modulo 2. This completely determines the addition: for example: $a+1$ cannot be 0 ($a$ is its own additive inverse), it cannot be 1 (since that implies $a = 0$), and it cannot be $a$ (since that implies $0 = 1$ which cannot happen in a field), so $a + 1 = b$.

Since this is "one less letter", we will henceforth write $a+1$ instead of $b$.

Which leads us to multiplication. The products involving 0 or 1 are trivial to define, and I will not bother. That leaves (because of commutativity of the product), just 3 products to investigate:

$a\cdot a$
$a \cdot (a+1)$
$(a+1)\cdot(a+1)$

By the distributive law, once we know $a \cdot a$, we'll know the rest. Now since $(F-\{0\},\cdot)$ forms an abelian group (because we have a field), and this group has 3 elements, it is clear that it is a cyclic group of order 3 (since all groups of order 3 are, since 3 is a prime), so any non-identity element is a generator. This means that:

$a\cdot a \neq 1$, because $a$ must be of (multiplicative) order 3, not order 2. If:

$a \cdot a = a$, then multiplying by $a^{-1}$ yields $a = 1$, which we know isn't true. Thus $a \cdot a = a + 1$.

Now it should be clear that the map $\sigma:F \to F$ above yields a GROUP automorphism of $(F,+)$ (we're just "switching two of the generators of the Klein 4-group"). So we have a FIELD automorphism if and only if $\sigma$ is a group automorphism of the multiplicative group of $F$. But on $F-\{0\}$, the map $\sigma$ is just the inversion map:

$x \mapsto x^{-1}$ (can you see this?)

which is a homomorphism because the multiplicative group is abelian.

Ok, so if we have a second field $F' = \{0',1',a',a'+1\}$, since any ring-homomorphism $\phi$ must take:

$0 \to 0'$
$1 \to 1'$ we either have:

$\phi(a) = a'$
$\phi(a+1) = a'+1$

which is clearly a ring (and thus field) isomorphism, or:

$\phi(a) = a'+1$
$\phi(a+1) = a'$

in which case $\phi \circ \sigma$ is clearly a field isomorphism and thus so is:

$\phi = (\phi \circ \sigma) \circ \sigma^{-1}$

(the composition of two isomorphisms is an isomorphism).

Thanks for the help Deveno ...

Now working through your post in detail ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Just a simple preliminary questions:

You write:

"Since $(F,+)$ is an abelian group, we must have either:

1 + 1 = 0, or 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0."

Why/how does this follow?

Peter

Last edited:
One thing I omitted, because it was not part of the problem, was proving a field of four elements actually EXISTS.

This is not as obvious as it sounds: for example, no field with 6 elements exists.

However, this is easily remedied:

$F = \Bbb Z_2[x]/\langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$

is easily seen to be a field, as $x^2 + x + 1$ is irreducible over $\Bbb Z_2$ (having no roots in $\Bbb Z_2$, and thus no linear factors).

It is also easily seen that we have precisely 4 distinct cosets:

$0 + \langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$
$1 + \langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$
$x + \langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$
$x+1 + \langle x^2 + x + 1\rangle$

and using the usual definitions of coset addition and multiplication it is easily seen that this gives a field isomorphic to those in my prior post.

Alternatively, one could verify that the field axioms are satisfied for $F = \{0,1,a,a+1\}$ used in my first post, but this is way too much tedium for me to stand.

Peter said:
Thanks for the help Deveno ...

Now working through your post in detail ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Just a simple preliminary questions:

You write:

Peter

Hi Deveno,

I am still working on the question above, namely:

You write:

I have been reading on finite fields and abelian groups - just skimming the topics for usable results - some near misses but nothing directly on target ...

However I did find the following text from a discussion of a field of 4 elements on math.stackexchange:

"The additive group of F is an abelian group with 4 elements. The order of 1 in this group divides 4, so it is either 2 or 4."

So if the order of 1 is 2 then 1 + 1 = 0 and if the order of 1 is 4 then 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0 as you said ... ...

But then the question becomes: why can we claim that "The order of 1 in this group divides 4" - why does this follow from (F, +) being an abelian group with 4 elements?

Can someone please help?

Peter

PS I think I need to thoroughly revise the theory of finite abelian groups!***EDIT***

A little further reading has made me aware that if g is an element of a finite group G then (as a consequence of Lagrange's Theorem) the order of g divides the order of G - so then the order of 1 divides the order of F which is the result I wanted ... ...

So the preliminary step that was worrying me did not depend on the group involved being abelian ... ... oh well, all's well that ends well ... ...

Can someone please confirm that my thinking/analysis above is correct?

Peter

Last edited:
Yes, an abelian group is a group, so Lagrange's theorem applies.

Since the (additive) order of 1, which is equal to the order of the (additive) subgroup generated by 1 is a divisor of 4, and 1 is a non-identity element (1 $\neq$ 0), it must have order 2 or 4.

Alternatively, by the structure theorem on finitely generated abelian groups, we have:

$(F,+) \cong \Bbb Z_4$ or $(F,+) \cong \Bbb Z_2 \times \Bbb Z_2$, since 2 is the only prime dividing 4 and the only multiplicative decompositions are either 2*2 or 4 (we would have some more choices in an abelian group of order 8: 2*2*2,2*4, or 8).

Related to Any two fields with 4 elements are isomorphic

1. What is the meaning of "isomorphic" in this context?

In mathematics, two structures are considered isomorphic if there is a one-to-one correspondence between their elements that preserves their structure. In other words, they have the same number of elements and the same relationships between those elements.

2. How can you prove that any two fields with 4 elements are isomorphic?

The proof for this statement is based on the fact that any finite field with a prime number of elements (in this case, 4) is unique up to isomorphism. This means that all fields with 4 elements have the same structure and are therefore isomorphic to each other.

3. What are some practical applications of this theorem?

This theorem has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. For example, it can be used to design efficient algorithms for error correction or data compression.

4. Are there any exceptions to this theorem?

Yes, there are exceptions to this theorem. It only applies to fields with a prime number of elements. If we consider fields with a different number of elements, they may not be isomorphic to each other.

5. How does this theorem relate to the concept of symmetry?

The concept of isomorphism is closely related to symmetry. In fact, isomorphic structures can be thought of as symmetrical versions of each other, where the elements are rearranged but the overall structure remains the same.