Any one have a diagram of the idea column shape.

In summary, the article discusses the development of an ideal shape for a column to resist buckling, which was published in Science News after extensive calculations. The proposed shape is a slight barrel shape and is similar to a hyperboloid of one sheet. The article also mentions the failure of steel parts in a bicycle due to buckling and plans to replace them with aluminum parts and drilled holes.
zerodish
It ran in Science News after much calculation the idea shape for a column to resist buckling was solved. It is a slight barrel shape.

Physics news on Phys.org
zerodish, Welcome to Physics Forums.

It is useful and common practice here to post a link with the referenced article. Others can read what you are referring to and then provide some educated comments or suggestions. I searched the Science News website at http://www.sciencenews.org/ using the phrase "idea shape for a column to resist buckling" and got no results. I also tried "ideal shape for a column to resist buckling" with the same result: nothing.

Will you please post a reference link? Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't find the article it had the diagram. The idea hyperbolic flywheel shape is easy to find on the web http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544211005251 the column shape should be easier to find since columns are much more common than flywheels. I'm replacing all the steel parts on my bicycle with aluminum ones http://www.flickr.com/photos/63373992@N07/7122582819/ both of those spacers failed by buckling however the failure was safe being a fraction of a mm. I'm going to replace these with 7075 T6 and drill holes in them.There will also be an idea shape with a constant outside diameter with shaped drillings on the inside which my intuition tells me will be close to a hyperboloid of one sheet. These would be easy to drill.

Related to Any one have a diagram of the idea column shape.

What is an idea column shape?

An idea column shape is a visual representation of a brainstorming session or thought process. It typically consists of a central idea or topic with branches or columns branching off to show related ideas or concepts.

Why is it important to have a diagram of an idea column shape?

Having a diagram of an idea column shape can help organize and visualize complex ideas or thought processes. It can also aid in identifying connections and relationships between different ideas.

How do you create a diagram of an idea column shape?

To create a diagram of an idea column shape, start by identifying the central idea or topic and write it in the center of the page. Then, brainstorm related ideas or concepts and connect them to the central idea with lines or branches. Repeat this process for each new idea, and continue to connect related ideas with lines or branches.

What are some benefits of using an idea column shape diagram?

Using an idea column shape diagram can help stimulate creativity, improve problem-solving skills, and enhance communication and collaboration within a group. It can also provide a visual representation of the thinking process, making it easier to understand and remember ideas.

Can I use digital tools to create an idea column shape diagram?

Yes, there are many digital tools available, such as mind mapping software, that can help create an idea column shape diagram. These tools often have additional features, such as the ability to add images or collaborate with others in real-time, making the diagram even more useful.