Any general RC circuit is never underdamped?

In summary, a general RC circuit is not underdamped if all the poles of the transfer function are in the L.H.P. (left half plane, real part < 0).
pawnfork
My first post!

Question: Is a general RC circuit, with any topology of interconnected R and C elements, never underdamped?

This is a bonus question in one of my homeworks. The answers to the earlier questions in the problem indeed show that two example RC circuits are not underdamped.

I understand how one identifies over-damped, critically damped and under-damped for a small circuit, using the Laplace transform on the differential equation. But for any general RC network, I do not know how to write the equations.

I attempted a proof by induction, but dint get far.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean on "underdamped"?

ehild

I have been thinking about it for a while and came up with the following reasoning:

If all the poles of the transfer function (in s-domain) are in the L.H.P. (left half plane, real part < 0), then the system is not underdamped. So what remains is to show it for a general RC circuit. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ehild said:
What do you mean on "underdamped"?

ehild

Ehild,

I checked, but we are not given a definition as such of underdamped. But intuitively, afaik, it means a system where the impulse response oscillates rather than moving monotonically. Actually now I am not sure.

Well, I also think that you have to prove that an RC circuit can not oscillate by "itself". I think it can be connected with energy storage. If there are both capacitors and inductors in a circuit, the energy stored in a capacitor is stored in the electric field, that in an inductor is stored in the magnetic field, and it oscillates between the two. Resistors only dissipate (consume) energy.
I do not know how to get an exact mathematical proof...

Hi Ehild,

Thanks for the reasoning. It really helps a lot. Let me think and see if I can write it out mathematically.

Related to Any general RC circuit is never underdamped?

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices and systems.

2. What does it mean for an RC circuit to be underdamped?

An RC circuit is underdamped when the current and voltage in the circuit oscillate for an extended period of time before reaching a steady state. This is caused by the energy stored in the capacitor being released slowly.

3. Why is an underdamped RC circuit undesirable?

An underdamped RC circuit can cause problems in electronic devices, as the oscillations can lead to inaccurate readings or damage to the components. It can also result in a slower response time for the circuit.

4. How can you tell if an RC circuit is underdamped?

The behavior of an RC circuit can be analyzed by examining its time constant, which is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance. If the time constant is much larger than the rise time of the circuit, it is likely underdamped.

5. Can an RC circuit ever be perfectly underdamped?

No, it is not possible for an RC circuit to be perfectly underdamped. The closest it can get is critically damped, where the current and voltage reach a steady state without any oscillations. This occurs when the time constant is equal to the rise time of the circuit.