Antisymmetric gradient matrix?

In summary, an antisymmetric gradient matrix is a square matrix with all zero entries on the main diagonal and symmetric entries on either side of the main diagonal. It has properties such as all diagonal entries being zero, off-diagonal entries being the negative of their corresponding entry, and the sum of symmetrically positioned entries being zero. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics, and can be created by taking the gradient of a vector field or constructing it using other matrices. It is related to skew-symmetric matrices, but has a more specific structure for certain calculations.
scoobmx
Does this operator (in 3D):

[tex]ε_{ijk}∇_k = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} & -\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\\
-\frac{\partial}{\partial z} & 0 & \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\\
\frac{\partial}{\partial y} & -\frac{\partial}{\partial x} & 0
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

have a formal name and a more compact symbolic representation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That gives you the curl in 3-D.

It gives you an analogue of the curl in other dimensions. I don't know how much more compact than ##\epsilon_{ijk}\nabla_k## you wanted, but I am not aware of any more compact forms.

Related to Antisymmetric gradient matrix?

What is an antisymmetric gradient matrix?

An antisymmetric gradient matrix is a square matrix in which the entries on the main diagonal are all zero, and the remaining entries are symmetric about the main diagonal (i.e. the entry in the i-th row and j-th column is equal to the negative of the entry in the j-th row and i-th column).

What are the properties of an antisymmetric gradient matrix?

An antisymmetric gradient matrix has the following properties:

• All diagonal entries are equal to zero.
  • All off-diagonal entries are equal to the negative of their corresponding entry on the opposite side of the main diagonal.
  • The sum of any two entries symmetrically positioned about the main diagonal is equal to zero.
  • The determinant of an antisymmetric gradient matrix is either zero or a multiple of i (the imaginary unit).
  • The eigenvalues of an antisymmetric gradient matrix are either purely imaginary or equal to zero.

What are the applications of an antisymmetric gradient matrix?

Antisymmetric gradient matrices are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and magnetic fields. They are also used in computer graphics for transformations and rotations, and in algorithms for solving differential equations.

How is an antisymmetric gradient matrix related to skew-symmetric matrices?

An antisymmetric gradient matrix is a specific type of skew-symmetric matrix, where the entries are symmetric about the main diagonal instead of the secondary diagonal. Both types of matrices have similar properties and applications, but an antisymmetric gradient matrix has a more specific structure that is useful for certain calculations.

How can an antisymmetric gradient matrix be created?

An antisymmetric gradient matrix can be created by taking the gradient of a vector field and then applying the antisymmetric operation to the resulting matrix. It can also be constructed using a combination of symmetric and skew-symmetric matrices, or by solving systems of linear equations to satisfy the properties of the matrix.