Anti-commutation of parity operator

In summary, the parity operator is defined as P \psi (x) = \psi (-x). When applied to a function f(x), it transforms x \rightarrow -x and results in -f(-x). Using this understanding, the anti-commutation of P and p_x can be shown to be equal to 0.
sydfloyd

Homework Statement

The parity operator is defined as [tex]P \psi (x) = \psi (-x)[/tex]. Show that [tex]P[/tex] and [tex]p_x[/tex] anti-commute, that is, [tex] \{ P,p_x \} = Pp_x + p_xP = 0 [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]P \psi (x) = \psi (-x)[/tex]
[tex]p_x = - i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \{ P,p_x \} \psi(x) = ( Pp_x + p_xP ) \psi(x) = -i \hbar \left[ P \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (x) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [ P \psi (x) ]\right] = -i \hbar \left[ \frac{\partial}{\partial (-x)} \psi (-x) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (-x) \right] = -i \hbar \left[ - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (-x) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (-x) \right] = 0 [/tex]

Is it valid to say that [tex] P \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi (x) = \frac{\partial}{\partial (-x)} \psi (-x) [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
for the part where you found (pxP) this one is correct ..

as for your question, I won't say that I am 100% sure that it is valid .. but I would say that I am 80% agree with what you suggested in order to get your answer ..

what I know about the parity operator is that when you apply it on psi(x) you get psi(-x), so whenever you have x you simply change it to -x and vice versa (that would be applied to other things such as velocity and force) ..

I'm under the impression that the parity operator transforms [tex]x \rightarrow -x[/tex].

Let's say that [tex] f(x) = \frac{\partial \psi (x) }{\partial x}[/tex] .

Then [tex]P f(x) = f(-x) = \frac{\partial \psi (-x) }{\partial (-x)} = - \frac{\partial \psi (-x) }{\partial x}[/tex] , right?

I feel that something is wrong here.

sydfloyd said:
I'm under the impression that the parity operator transforms [tex]x \rightarrow -x[/tex].

Then [tex]P f(x) = f(-x) = \frac{\partial \psi (-x) }{\partial (-x)} = - \frac{\partial \psi (-x) }{\partial x}[/tex] , right?

I feel that something is wrong here.

I told you I am not 100% sure .. but i still think it is right the way you did ..

hopefully there would be someone else to confirm what I think ..

sydfloyd said:

Right. I don't see anything wrong. Use a trial function of x, like a few terms of a polynomial, that doesn't have definite parity and see how it works.

Related to Anti-commutation of parity operator

1. What is the definition of anti-commutation of parity operator?

The anti-commutation of parity operator refers to the mathematical relationship between two operators, the parity operator and its inverse, which results in a minus sign when they are multiplied in reverse order. This is often denoted as {P,P^-1} = -1, where P is the parity operator and P^-1 is its inverse.

2. What is the purpose of studying anti-commutation of parity operator?

Studying anti-commutation of parity operator allows us to understand the properties of symmetry operations in quantum mechanics. It also helps in understanding the behavior of fermionic and bosonic particles under parity transformation.

3. What is the significance of anti-commutation of parity operator in quantum mechanics?

The anti-commutation of parity operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it helps determine the behavior of particles and systems under parity transformation. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of quantum field theories.

4. How is anti-commutation of parity operator related to the concept of anti-commutators?

The anti-commutation of parity operator is a particular case of anti-commutators, which are mathematical objects that measure the anti-commutativity of two operators. In this case, the anti-commutator of the parity operator and its inverse is equal to -2, indicating that they do not commute.

5. Can you provide an example of how anti-commutation of parity operator is applied in quantum mechanics?

One example is in the formulation of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermionic particles. The parity operator is used to transform the Dirac equation into its mirror image, and the anti-commutation of the parity operator is crucial for ensuring that the equation remains valid under this transformation.