Ansys mechanical APDL input file creation

In summary, the conversation is about creating a shape memory alloy model in ANSYS Workbench 12.0. The speaker is having trouble finding the SMA model in Workbench and is asking for help in defining material properties and creating an input file. The other person asks for clarification on whether the SMA model is not available in the engineering library or if the speaker just doesn't know how to define it. The speaker then explains that they haven't been able to find the SMA model in Workbench or on the internet and is seeking guidance on creating the input file.
mech.reza
hello everybody. i have a quick question.
i am going to make a shape memory alloy model in ansys workbench 12.0 . as workbench does not have the SMA model, i have to make material properties in mechanical APDL and then make an input file. but i don't know how to define properties and make the input file.
can anybody do me a favor and help?
thank you so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you say "Workbench does not have the SMA model" do you mean the engineering library doesn't have one built-in, or just just don't know how to define one in WB?

actually, i haven't found the SMA model in ansys workbench and nothing was also available on the internet. everybody says that you can do it by defining the properties in Mechanical APDL and creating an input file and then complete your analysis through workbench. but i don't know how to create this input file(.inp)
thanks

Related to Ansys mechanical APDL input file creation

What is an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file?

An Ansys Mechanical APDL input file is a text-based file that contains the necessary commands and parameters for performing finite element analysis (FEA) using the Ansys Mechanical APDL software. It serves as the primary means of communicating with the software and providing instructions for the analysis.

How do I create an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file?

To create an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file, you can use any text editor such as Notepad or a specialized editor provided by Ansys. You will need to follow a specific format and syntax for the commands and parameters, which can be found in the Ansys documentation.

What are the essential elements of an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file?

An Ansys Mechanical APDL input file typically contains three main sections: the preprocessor, the solution, and the postprocessor. The preprocessor section includes commands for geometry creation, material properties, and boundary conditions. The solution section includes commands for running the analysis, and the postprocessor section includes commands for viewing and interpreting the results.

Can I customize an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file for specific analyses?

Yes, you can customize an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file by adding or modifying commands and parameters to suit your specific analysis requirements. This allows for more flexibility and control over the analysis process.

Do I need to have coding experience to create an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file?

No, you do not need to have coding experience to create an Ansys Mechanical APDL input file. However, a basic understanding of the software and its commands is necessary. Ansys also provides tutorials and resources to help users learn and create input files.