Answer the Question: Is Completely Empty Room Possible?

• Thread starter Firefox123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of all gas molecules in a container ending up in one half of the room, leaving the other half at zero pressure due to random motion. The short answer is "yes," but it would take an extremely long time to witness. The concept is known as the "fluctuation theory" or "Poincaré cycle" and can be explored further through online resources.
Firefox123
Someone asked me this question and I was wondering how you guys would answer it...

Consider a container with some gas in it. It can be a sealed living room filled with ordinary air at typical pressure.

The air molecules are in motion - colliding with each other and bouncing off the walls.

Question: If this random motion of molecules around the room is allowed to proceed long enough (say, a billion years raised to the billionth power), will it at some point happen that all of the gas molecules are in one half of the room, leaving the other half in zero pressure?

Is that situation forbidden by the principles of gas dynamnics, or are gas dynamics just statements about what is statistically likely to be the case at anyone time as gas molecules knock each other around? Will those principles be wildly violated on statistically rare occasions?

Physics news on Phys.org
steadele said:
(snip)Question: If this random motion of molecules around the room is allowed to proceed long enough (say, a billion years raised to the billionth power), will it at some point happen that all of the gas molecules are in one half of the room, leaving the other half in zero pressure?(snip)

Short answer: "Yes." You're a little short on the time scale necessary to be able to witness it, but, "sooner or later," the system passes through that state.

Bystander said:
Short answer: "Yes." You're a little short on the time scale necessary to be able to witness it, but, "sooner or later," the system passes through that state.

Cool...the person who originated the question was allowing for as much time as theoretically necessary for the event to occur.

My answer, with reservation, was that yes I did think such a state would occur given enough time.

But I am an electrical engineer who is not an expert in fluid dynamics or statistical mechanics so I wasnt sure if my intial answer waas correct or an oversimplification.

Do you know of any online resources that I could direct him to for a deeper explanation of why this could occur and how much time might be necessary?

Thanks.

Russ

You should also search for "Poincaré cycle"...

There's a theorem proved by Poincaré that allows this possibility.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You should also search for "Poincaré cycle"...

There's a theorem proved by Poincaré that allows this possibility.

Daniel.

Will do.

Thanks.

Related to Answer the Question: Is Completely Empty Room Possible?

1. Is it physically possible for a room to be completely empty?

Yes, it is physically possible for a room to be completely empty. This means that there are no physical objects or matter present within the room.

2. Can a completely empty room exist in real life?

While it is not common to find a completely empty room, it is possible for one to exist in real life. However, it would require special conditions and circumstances.

3. Is there such a thing as a truly empty space?

According to current scientific understanding, there is no such thing as a truly empty space. Even in the vastness of outer space, there are still particles and energy present.

4. What would a completely empty room look like?

A completely empty room would appear to be completely dark, as there would be no objects to reflect or emit light. The walls, floor, and ceiling would also be completely bare.

5. Are there any benefits to having a completely empty room?

Having a completely empty room may provide a sense of calm and minimalism. It can also be useful for certain experiments and scientific studies that require a controlled environment.