Anstract Algebra proof - cosets

In summary, the conversation discussed the task of showing that every left coset gH is equivalent to the right coset Hg, given a subgroup H of G where g^-1hg is an element of H for all g in G and h in H. The approach suggested was to show that gh = kg, rearranging the equation ghg-1 = k to find a suitable k in H.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Let H be a subgroup of G such that g^-1hg is an element of H for all g in G and all h in H. Show that every left coset gH is the same as the right coset Hg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

need to show gh1=h2g
I know I need to show this, but am unsure on how to.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the whole set up excpet for this part and it confuses me.

Let g be in G, h in H (sorry, Latex seems to be failing presently). As you say, you need to show that there exists k in H such that
gh = kg. You know that ghg-1 = k is in H. Rearrange this to get something useful.

Oh, that makes sense

Related to Anstract Algebra proof - cosets

What is a coset in abstract algebra?

A coset in abstract algebra is a subset of a group that is obtained by multiplying a fixed element of the group by all elements of a subgroup.

How do you prove that two cosets are equal?

To prove that two cosets are equal, you need to show that they have the same elements. This can be done by showing that every element in one coset can be obtained by multiplying an element in the other coset by an element in the subgroup.

Can a coset contain more than one element?

Yes, a coset can contain more than one element. In fact, a coset must have the same number of elements as the subgroup that it is generated by.

What is a left coset and a right coset?

In abstract algebra, a left coset is a coset obtained by multiplying a fixed element of a group on the left by all elements of a subgroup. A right coset is a coset obtained by multiplying a fixed element of a group on the right by all elements of a subgroup.

How are cosets related to group theory?

Cosets are an important concept in group theory as they help us understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. They also help us prove important theorems such as Lagrange's theorem and the first isomorphism theorem.