Ansatz for particular solution - Inhomogenous diff equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a 2nd order in-homogeneous equation for y(x). The first participant was able to find the Homogeneous solution, but was struggling to create an Ansatz for the particular solution. The second participant suggests using the first derivative of the equation and finding the appropriate values for A and B to obtain the desired particular solution. The concept of "general form" is also mentioned, which refers to the form of the equation and guessing a function that would fit in the place of y'.
hari123
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve 2nd order in-homogeneous equation of y(x) (given below). I was able to get the Homogeneous solution , but i am not able to create the Ansatz for the particular solution.

It would be really helpful if anyone suggests an Ansatz for this equation and also the approach in which he/she got to this Ansatz using the Standard available Ansatz types.

Homework Equations

y'' + (3/b)*y' = 12*(x/b3), where b = x +2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the Homogeneous solution as,
yhom = -C1/(2*b2) + C2 (C1,C2 are integration constants). (I have attached the derivation below)

researchgate.png

Attachments

• researchgate.png
    researchgate.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 2,151
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

You can notice that in order for the left side of the equation to have the same form as the right side, you can choose the 1st derivative to be:

y' = (Ax + B) / (x+2)2

Proceeding to get the second derivative, and then solving for A and B would give you the appropriate particular solution, I think.

Edit: And well, I don't know any standard Ansatz methods, I just guess by intuition. Basically you look at the form of the equation and try to fit one term you don't have with the general form, and then look if other terms will fit, too. So this was actually just my first guess, but I think it would work.

Last edited:
hari123 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve 2nd order in-homogeneous equation of y(x) (given below). I was able to get the Homogeneous solution , but i am not able to create the Ansatz for the particular solution.

It would be really helpful if anyone suggests an Ansatz for this equation and also the approach in which he/she got to this Ansatz using the Standard available Ansatz types.

Homework Equations

y'' + (3/b)*y' = 12*(x/b3), where b = x +2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the Homogeneous solution as,
yhom = -C1/(2*b2) + C2 (C1,C2 are integration constants). (I have attached the derivation below)

View attachment 223408

Why bother with an "ansatz"? You can just write down and exact solution. Letting ##z = y'## gives you a DE if the form ##z' + p(x) z = q(x)##, which can be solved using the classical technique of an "integrating factor".

Antarres said:
Hello,

You can notice that in order for the left side of the equation to have the same form as the right side, you can choose the 1st derivative to be:

y' = (Ax + B) / (x+2)2

Proceeding to get the second derivative, and then solving for A and B would give you the appropriate particular solution, I think.

Edit: And well, I don't know any standard Ansatz methods, I just guess by intuition. Basically you look at the form of the equation and try to fit one term you don't have with the general form, and then look if other terms will fit, too. So this was actually just my first guess, but I think it would work.

Thank you for your reply @Antarres .

I have tried using y' = (Ax + B) / (x+2)2 and I was able to get the desired particular solution.

But i have a small doubt about this idea, in the line " try to fit one term with the general form" of your reply.
What do you mean with "general form" ? Do you mean the Non-homogeneous term (right hand side term) ?

Ray Vickson said:
Why bother with an "ansatz"? You can just write down and exact solution. Letting ##z = y'## gives you a DE if the form ##z' + p(x) z = q(x)##, which can be solved using the classical technique of an "integrating factor".

Thank you for your reply @Ray Vickson

I am not quite familiar with the Integrating factor technique. I will go through it and then will try to solve the equation.

hari123 said:
Thank you for your reply @Antarres .

I have tried using y' = (Ax + B) / (x+2)2 and I was able to get the desired particular solution.

But i have a small doubt about this idea, in the line " try to fit one term with the general form" of your reply.
What do you mean with "general form" ? Do you mean the Non-homogeneous term (right hand side term) ?

General form means like, rational function, trigonometric function, or other function of certain form. For example here, you have x/(x+2)3, so you can guess that your function that would fit in the place of y' would have to have 1/(x+2)2, because coefficient next to it has the form of 1/(x+2). And it would also have to have a linear function in the numerator, since that's what you're missing, so that's what was my first guess. Generally, you can develop this type of intuition with a bit of practice in solving ODEs of this type. So a form of the function is like generally 'what it looks like', is it a sine, is it a cosine, a product of elementary functions or an elementary function of some type. You can't really have general algorithm with this way of solving, but it is useful if you manage to develop this intuition, since you might be able to use it in problems which you haven't seen before, so you wouldn't know what to try there, but you can make educated guesses. Hope that helps :)

And yes, I mean nonhomogenous term in the case when you're looking for particular solution. But like just the form of nonhomogenous term can give you some clue about what to try when you're guessing the particular solution, so you cut out all the constants and just focus on what the functional law of that term is.

Antarres said:
General form means like, rational function, trigonometric function, or other function of certain form. For example here, you have x/(x+2)3, so you can guess that your function that would fit in the place of y' would have to have 1/(x+2)2, because coefficient next to it has the form of 1/(x+2). And it would also have to have a linear function in the numerator, since that's what you're missing, so that's what was my first guess. Generally, you can develop this type of intuition with a bit of practice in solving ODEs of this type. So a form of the function is like generally 'what it looks like', is it a sine, is it a cosine, a product of elementary functions or an elementary function of some type. You can't really have general algorithm with this way of solving, but it is useful if you manage to develop this intuition, since you might be able to use it in problems which you haven't seen before, so you wouldn't know what to try there, but you can make educated guesses. Hope that helps :)

And yes, I mean nonhomogenous term in the case when you're looking for particular solution. But like just the form of nonhomogenous term can give you some clue about what to try when you're guessing the particular solution, so you cut out all the constants and just focus on what the functional law of that term is.
Yup @Antarres , This is really Informative . Thank you

Related to Ansatz for particular solution - Inhomogenous diff equation

1. What is an Ansatz for particular solution?

An Ansatz for particular solution is a proposed form of the solution to an inhomogeneous differential equation. It is often used when the inhomogeneous term of the equation is a known function, making it possible to guess a particular solution of the same form.

2. How is an Ansatz for particular solution different from the general solution?

The general solution of a differential equation includes all possible solutions, while an Ansatz for particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the inhomogeneous term of the equation. The general solution is often expressed in terms of arbitrary constants, while an Ansatz for particular solution does not contain any arbitrary constants.

3. Why is an Ansatz for particular solution useful?

An Ansatz for particular solution can greatly simplify the process of solving an inhomogeneous differential equation. It allows for a specific solution to be guessed and verified, rather than having to find the general solution and then apply boundary or initial conditions.

4. What are some common Ansatz forms for particular solution?

Some common Ansatz forms for particular solution include polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. The specific form will depend on the inhomogeneous term of the equation and can often be determined by looking at similar equations or using trial and error.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Ansatz for particular solution?

Yes, an Ansatz for particular solution may not work for all inhomogeneous differential equations. It is important to note that it is only a guess, and the solution must still be verified by substituting it into the original equation. Additionally, some inhomogeneous terms may not have a particular solution that can be expressed in a known form.