Another vector problem (smart person please)

• Thread starter dboy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: What formulas should you use to convert back and forth between the two different vector representations?You should use the Pythagorean theorem to convert between the two representations.
dboy83
I know this is easy for you smart people, but I need some help. The magnitudes of the four displacement vectors shown in the drawing are A= 16.0 m, B=11.0 m, C=12.0 m ,and D=26.0 m. Determine the magnitude and directional angle for the resultant that occurs when these vectors are added together. * I drew a picture of the problem using paint *
Thanks! You guys are awesome!

Attachments

• 42.GIF
    42.GIF
    4.1 KB · Views: 707
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you don't need a smart person. All you need is a google image search named 'vector addition', which will surely help.

Could some of us "dumb folks" help? You understand, don't you, that a vector depends upon direction as well as length and so the sum of two or more vectors depends on the angle of each vector as well as the length.

HallsofIvy said:
Could some of us "dumb folks" help? You understand, don't you, that a vector depends upon direction as well as length and so the sum of two or more vectors depends on the angle of each vector as well as the length.

Yes, I know that much. This problem is much different than the ones I'm used to working out by using pythagorean theorem. What is the next step?

Your attachment is still pending approval, but I'll give you a hint in case it helps. It sounds like you are given the vectors in polar notation (magnitude and direction). You will need to convert them into rectangular notation (deltaX,deltaY) in order to more easily add them. You can then convert the resultant back into polar form if it seems like the problem is asking for the resultant in magnitude, direction format.

What formulas should you use to convert back and forth between the two different vector representations? Oh, and in the latest smart person competition among the Homework Helpers, I was near the bottom. :cry:

EDIT -- fixed a typo

Related to Another vector problem (smart person please)

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction, and can be used to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. The parallelogram law states that the sum of two vectors is given by the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. The triangle law states that the sum or difference of two vectors is given by the third side of the triangle formed by the two vectors.

3. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that measures the amount of similarity or alignment between the two vectors. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

4. What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to both vectors. It is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors, the sine of the angle between them, and a unit vector in the direction of the perpendicular vector.

5. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to describe physical quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, acceleration, and force. They are also used in vector calculus to study the behavior of functions of multiple variables, and in vector analysis to solve problems in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.