Another Statics problem with friction

After correcting my mistake, I found that P should be 313lb instead of 273lb.In summary, a 400-lb block can be moved and positioned using two 10* wedges with a coefficient of static friction of 0.25. By analyzing two free body diagrams, the smallest force P that should be applied to one of the wedges is determined to be 313lb. A previous mistake in analyzing the top wedge was corrected to reach this solution.
ME_student

Homework Statement

Two 10* wedges of negligible weight are used to move and position the 400-lb block. Knowing that the coefficient of static friction is 0.25 at all surfaces of contact, determine the smallest force P that should be applied as shown to one of the wedges.

Homework Equations

I broke the 400lb block with wedge touching it up from the wedge on the ground. I've got two FBD's I analyzed. Considering the 400lb block I summed forces in y to find Fn2. Then I considered the wedge to find P.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attachment has my solution. P should be 313lb I got 273lb.

Attachments

• img159.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 1,108
I figured this out long ago. The term is officially over. Thanks though!I was analyzing the top wedge wrong. I forgot about the force normal to the wall and the friction force against the wall.

Related to Another Statics problem with friction

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It occurs due to the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and acts in the direction opposite to the motion or attempted motion.

2. How is friction related to statics problems?

Friction plays a crucial role in statics problems because it affects the equilibrium of an object. When calculating forces and moments in a statics problem, friction must be taken into account as it can prevent an object from moving or cause it to move in a certain direction.

3. Can friction be ignored in a statics problem?

No, friction cannot be ignored in a statics problem as it is an important force that affects the equilibrium of an object. Ignoring friction can lead to inaccurate results and can also be dangerous in real-life scenarios.

4. How do you calculate the friction force in a statics problem?

The friction force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and is typically given in the problem.

5. Can friction ever be beneficial in a statics problem?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in a statics problem. In some cases, friction can prevent an object from slipping or sliding, thus ensuring its stability. It can also be used to control the motion of an object, such as in the case of brakes on a car or a ball rolling down a hill.