Another equation of another line

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric and symmetric equation for a line passing through (1,-1,1) and parallel to the line given by $x+2=\frac{1}{2}y=z-3$. The strategy of thinking in reverse is suggested to solve the problem, and it is explained how to go from the vector form to the symmetric form and then back to the vector form.
ineedhelpnow
Please help, how do I do this?
Find the parametric and symmetric equation for a line through (1,-1,1) and parallel to $x+2= \frac{1}{2}y=z-3$

So confused

Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
Please help, how do I do this?
Find the parametric and symmetric equation for a line through (1,-1,1) and parallel to $x+2= \frac{1}{2}y=z-3$

So confused

Parallel lines have the same direction vectors.

Can you get a direction vector for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x + 2 = \frac{1}{2}y = z - 3 \end{align*}$?

That's what I'm stuck on.at first I though it would be v=(-2,2,3) but then I came to the conclusion that it was wrong so I am stuck again.

ineedhelpnow said:
That's what I'm stuck on.at first I though it would be v=(-2,2,3) but then I came to the conclusion that it was wrong so I am stuck again.

You need to get better at the problem solving strategy of thinking in reverse. How would you go from a vector form of a line to the symmetric form?

Start by writing out the x, y, z components separately to get the parametric equations.

Solve for t in each equation.

Realise since they are all equal to t, they are equal to each other.

Now how do you think you can go in reverse to get back to the vector equation?

i figured it out :)

Related to Another equation of another line

1. What is the equation of another line?

The equation of a line is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept. However, there are many different forms of equations for lines depending on the context and purpose.

2. How do I find the equation of another line?

To find the equation of a line, you need to know at least two points on the line. Then, you can use the slope formula (m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)) to calculate the slope. Finally, you can plug in the slope and one of the points into the general form of the line equation (y = mx + b) to solve for the y-intercept.

3. Can another line have the same equation as another line?

Yes, it is possible for two different lines to have the same equation. For example, parallel lines have the same slope and therefore will have the same equation. However, it is important to note that even if two lines have the same equation, they will still have different coordinates and therefore are not exactly the same line.

4. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear equation for a line?

A linear equation for a line is one that can be written in the form y = mx + b, where the variable y is raised to the first power and there are no other variables or exponents. A nonlinear equation for a line is any equation that cannot be written in this form, such as a quadratic or exponential equation.

5. What is the significance of finding the equation of a line?

Finding the equation of a line is important in many areas of science and math. It can help in determining relationships between variables, predicting future values, and solving real-world problems. The equation of a line can also provide valuable information about the slope, intercepts, and behavior of a line.