Another energy conservation problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle in a kinematics problem with conservation of energy. The given equations are PE=mgh and KE= 1/2mv^2. After some algebra, the final velocity can be found, but there is no solution for the angle.
vu10758
This problem has a picture with it so I posted at

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=21023924&imageID=1304590013

The problem is problem number 8. How do I approach it? I have no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
vu10758 said:
This problem has a picture with it so I posted at

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=21023924&imageID=1304590013

The problem is problem number 8. How do I approach it? I have no idea what to do.

I believe I'm right in my method here, although I didn't do to well in kinematics:

PE=mgh
KE= 1/2mv^2

At the start you only have PE since velocity=0. When you fly off you have both PE and KE

So due the conservation of energy we have:

PE(i)+KE(i)=PE(f)+KE(f)

Furthermore:

PE(i)=PE(f)+KE(f)

h = r

mgr=mgr+1/2mv^2

Do the algebra to get the final velocity (Things cancel, you get a number). That should get you started. If I'm wrong, well maybe you can get an idea from what I posted here.

I don't know. I am suppose to solve for the angle, but there are no angles in the equations you gave me.

mgr-mgr = (1/2)mv^2
0 = (1/2)mv^2

which is not true

Related to Another energy conservation problem

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in order to save resources and reduce environmental impact. This can be achieved by using energy more efficiently, or by using renewable energy sources.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps to reduce the negative impacts of energy production on the environment, such as air and water pollution. It also helps to preserve natural resources and reduce the use of non-renewable energy sources.

3. How can I conserve energy at home?

There are several ways to conserve energy at home, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and properly insulating your home to reduce heating and cooling needs. You can also consider using renewable energy sources, such as solar panels, to power your home.

4. What are some common energy conservation problems?

Some common energy conservation problems include lack of awareness and education about energy conservation, high initial costs for energy-efficient technologies, and resistance to change traditional habits and behaviors. Other problems may include government policies that do not support energy conservation efforts or inadequate infrastructure for renewable energy sources.

5. How can scientists help address energy conservation problems?

Scientists can help address energy conservation problems by conducting research and developing new technologies and methods for energy production and conservation. They can also raise awareness about the importance of energy conservation and advocate for policies that support sustainable energy use.