Annulus force in a Hydraulic Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the annulus force for a hydraulic cylinder with a split rear piston and necked down diameter. The person was initially calculating the retract force, but was corrected by their boss that the annulus force is the difference between the cylinder's inner diameter and the rod's diameter. They also asked for confirmation on whether the force is transmitted to the surface area or the area passed through by the hydraulic fluid. The correct answer is that the force is based on the rod diameter, as any variations close to the piston do not affect the volume of fluid moved.
Nik_Barbour
Hi,
I was wondering if I could ask for some advice.
I'm was calculating the Annulus force that a hydraulic cylinder could generate that I've been asked to do some work on, however this particular ram is a little unusual in that it had a split rear piston and necks down to a smaller diameter than the rod to which it attaches. (see attached pic)
I was happily calculating retract force as (Ø180 bore area - Ø115 bore area) x pressure when the guy I was working for said no. The annulus force is the (cyl ID area - rod area) so [Ø180 bore area - Ø130 bore area].

Imagining the hydraulic cyl isn't in its fully closed position as shown, but traveling in its closing direction, I was thinking hydraulic fluid transmits its pressure to the surface area it contacts, not the area it passes through.

Just wondered if anyone could confirm which is correct for my own personal interest.

Thanks in advance for any advice given,
I hope my question makes sense.

01.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Effective pressure area is bore area minus rod area .

Remember that there is a pressure area on the tapered section where the reduced rod diameter changes to the main rod diameter . Force on this area is acting in the opposite direction to the force acting on the piston .

Likes Nik_Barbour
Nik_Barbour said:
I was thinking hydraulic fluid transmits its pressure to the surface area it contacts, not the area it passes through.
If you consider the distance that the piston moves per volume of fluid moved, you will see that it is rod diameter that is important. Any variation in rod diameter close to the piston constitutes a fixed volume that is always present, so plays no part in the calculations.

Consider a groove cut in the rod close to the piston. The same pressure is applied to the extend and to the retract faces of the groove, so the net forces on the rod due to the groove will cancel.

Likes Nik_Barbour

Related to Annulus force in a Hydraulic Cylinder?

1. What is annulus force in a hydraulic cylinder?

The annulus force in a hydraulic cylinder is the force exerted on the annular surface between the piston and cylinder walls. It is caused by the pressure difference between the fluid on either side of the piston, and is a crucial factor in determining the overall force and movement of the cylinder.

2. How is annulus force calculated?

The annulus force can be calculated by multiplying the pressure difference between the piston and rod sides of the cylinder by the area of the annular surface. This can be represented mathematically as F = P x A, where F is the annulus force, P is the pressure difference, and A is the annular surface area.

3. What factors affect the annulus force in a hydraulic cylinder?

The annulus force in a hydraulic cylinder is influenced by several factors, including the pressure and flow rate of the fluid, the size and shape of the annular surface, and the internal friction and wear of the cylinder walls and piston.

4. How does the annulus force impact the performance of a hydraulic cylinder?

The annulus force is a key factor in determining the overall force and movement of a hydraulic cylinder. A higher annulus force can result in greater force and speed of the piston, but can also put more strain on the cylinder walls and require more energy to maintain. A lower annulus force may result in slower movement and reduced force, but can also reduce wear and tear on the cylinder.

5. How can the annulus force be managed or controlled in a hydraulic system?

The annulus force can be managed and controlled in a hydraulic system by adjusting the pressure and flow rate of the fluid, as well as the size and shape of the annular surface. Proper maintenance and lubrication of the cylinder walls and piston can also help to reduce wear and friction, and therefore manage the annulus force. Additionally, using a pressure relief valve or other control mechanisms can help to maintain safe and efficient operation of the hydraulic cylinder.