Angular velocity of a wheel rolling around a fixed axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular velocity, angular acceleration, and velocity and acceleration of a point on a conical wheel that is rolling without slipping around a fixed axis. Using Euler's equation, the angular velocity vector is found to be along the negative y axis, but it is unclear whether this is the angular velocity of the wheel with respect to its own axis, the entire wheel with respect to the central axis, or the net angular velocity considering both rotations. It is also noted that the calculated vector represents the angular velocity at a specific instant and may differ at other instants.
sid0123
Mentor note: Moved to homework section

A conical wheel is rolling (without slipping) around a fixed axis OZ as shown in the figure. The velocity of point C is vc = at.
Conical Wheel.JPG

The direction of the velocity of C is shown by a cross i.e. along negative x-axis.
We have to find the angular velocity, angular acceleration of the wheel and also the velocity and acceleration of point B.

Now, using the Euler's equation, we can write it as

va = vo + ω x OA
As rolling is without slipping, va is 0 and vo is also 0.

So, I got ω x OA = 0. That means that ω ιι OA. That means ωx and ωz are both zero.

Now, I used the Euler equation for point O and C,
vc = vo + ωy X OC.

Solving this, I got ωy = -2at/r√3

That means ω = (0) i + (-2at/r√3 ) j + (0) k

So, I got the angular velocity vector along negative y axis. I am confused that is this the angular velocity of the wheel with respect to its own axis, or the angular velocity of the entire wheel with respect the the central axis OZ or the net angular velocity considering the angular velocity around its own axis + angular velocity around the central axis OZ?

Attachments

• Conical Wheel.JPG
    Conical Wheel.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,134
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sid0123 said:
So, I got the angular velocity vector along negative y axis. I am confused that is this the angular velocity of the wheel with respect to its own axis, or the angular velocity of the entire wheel with respect the the central axis OZ or the net angular velocity considering the angular velocity around its own axis + angular velocity around the central axis OZ?
Consider separately the directions of the angular velocity ##\vec \omega_1## due to rotation about the axis of the cone and angular velocity ##\vec \omega_2## due to rotation of the cone around the z-axis. Do either of these two vectors point in the negative y direction? Is it possible for their sum to point in the negative y direction?

Your calculation looks correct to me. But note that it gives the angular velocity vector at the particular instant when the cone is touching the y axis. What about other instants of time?

Related to Angular velocity of a wheel rolling around a fixed axis

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement of an object around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular speed (rotations per second) by 2π.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity describes the rotational speed of an object around a fixed axis, while linear velocity describes the speed of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in units of angle per unit of time, while linear velocity is measured in units of distance per unit of time.

How does the diameter of a wheel affect its angular velocity?

The diameter of a wheel does not affect its angular velocity. Angular velocity is only dependent on the rate of change of angular displacement and the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in angular acceleration will result in an increase in angular velocity, and vice versa. They are also related to each other through the equation: angular acceleration = change in angular velocity / change in time.