Angular velocity of a ball+rod falling through 90˚?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the rotational kinetic energy and angular speed of a thin rod with a ball attached to one end after it falls through 90 degrees. The solution for part A successfully calculates the center of mass and uses the equation Ek = mgh, while part B involves using the equation Ek = 0.5*I*ω^2. However, there is an error in the calculation of the moment of inertia, which needs to be calculated separately for the rod and ball.
Esoremada

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/57VmL.png

A thin rod, 28.5cm long with a mass of 0.97kg, has a ball with diameter 7.81cm and mass 2.15kg attached to one end. The arrangement is originally vertical and stationary, with the ball at the top. The apparatus is free to pivot about the bottom end of the rod.
(A) After it falls through 90°, what is its rotational kinetic energy?
(B) What is the angular speed of the rod and ball after it has fallen through an angle of 90°?

Homework Equations

Ek = 0.5*I*ω2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part A successfully by finding the center of mass of the ball and rod and then solving for mgh.

(A)

Centre of mass:

d = Σ(m*d) / Σm
= [0.97*0.285/2 + 2.15*(0.285+0.0781/2)] / (0.97 + 2.15)
= 0.26760657m

Ek = Ep
Ek = m*g*h
= (0.97+2.15)*9.8*0.26760657
= 8.1823 J

But then when I try to solve B I get the wrong answer. Here's what I tried..

(B)

Ek = 0.5*I*ω^2
8.1823 = 0.5*m*r22
8.1823 = 0.5*(0.97+2.15)*0.2676065722
ω = 8.55813 /s

But this is wrong, and I'm not sure why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial potential energy looks good to me.

For calculating the moment of inertia of the system, you can't lump all the mass of the system at the center of mass and just use mr2. (This is because moment of inertia depends on the square of the distance of the mass elements from the axis of rotation.) You'll need to treat the moment of inertia of the rod and ball separately.

Likes 1 person

Related to Angular velocity of a ball+rod falling through 90˚?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object over a period of time. It is expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of rotation.

3. How does the angle of rotation affect the angular velocity?

The angle of rotation does not affect the angular velocity of an object. It is only influenced by the speed at which the object rotates and the radius of rotation.

4. Does the mass of the object affect its angular velocity?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its angular velocity. Angular velocity is solely determined by the speed at which the object rotates and the radius of rotation.

5. How does air resistance affect the angular velocity of a falling ball+rod?

Air resistance can slow down the angular velocity of a falling ball+rod by creating a drag force. This force acts opposite to the direction of motion and can decrease the speed of rotation.