Angular Speed/Torque Homework: Hubble Telescope | Answers Provided

• Thread starter reminiscent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary: Good job!In summary, the Hubble space telescope, with a maximum diameter of 4.20 m and a moment of inertia of 77,217 kg-m2, undergoes a tangential force of 18.0 N for 5.00 seconds, resulting in an angular speed of 0.00245 rad/s and an angular displacement of 0.006125 radians. This action requires the reaction motor to do 0.232 J of work on the telescope.
reminiscent

Homework Statement

The Hubble space telescope has a maximum diameter (cylinder) of 4.20 m and a moment of inertia of 77,217 kg-m2 about its axis. A reaction motor applies a force of 18.0 N tangentially to the edge of the cylinder for 5.00 seconds. (a) What is the angular speed of the telescope after the 5 second interval? (b) How much work did the reaction motor do on the telescope?

Homework Equations

81a69207104f00baaabd6f84cafd15a0.png
= Iα
W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to really start with this problem. Can anyone give me a few clues?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the first equation, ∑T = I α. You're given I and you know the diameter of the telescope and the force applied to it. What's the resultant torque? Do you know how to calculate torque?

Once you calculate torque, what's the angular acceleration of the telescope? If the scope accelerates for 5 sec. from rest, what's the angular speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
Take the first equation, ∑T = I α. You're given I and you know the diameter of the telescope and the force applied to it. What's the resultant torque? Do you know how to calculate torque?

Once you calculate torque, what's the angular acceleration of the telescope? If the scope accelerates for 5 sec. from rest, what's the angular speed?
Okay I found the torque by multiplying the applied force (18.0 N) by the radius (2.1 m). I then divided that by the moment of inertia to give me the angular acceleration. Then multiplied the angular acceleration by 5 seconds. Is that correct?

SteamKing said:

Should I go about giving direction or is that unnecessary here?

reminiscent said:
Should I go about giving direction or is that unnecessary here?
The problem doesn't care in which direction the telescope rotates, only how fast.
reminiscent said:
Okay I found the torque by multiplying the applied force (18.0 N) by the radius (2.1 m). I then divided that by the moment of inertia to give me the angular acceleration. Then multiplied the angular acceleration by 5 seconds. Is that correct?
Yes.

SteamKing said:
The problem doesn't care in which direction the telescope rotates, only how fast.

Yes.
Okay, so how would I find the work? I know that W=Fd - the force that the reaction motor applies on the cylinder is 18.0 N, but what about the distance?

reminiscent said:
Okay, so how would I find the work? I know that W=Fd - the force that the reaction motor applies on the cylinder is 18.0 N, but what about the distance?
Since the telescope is rotating, the distance will be the angular displacement which occurs over that 5-sec. interval.

E = τ ⋅ θ

θ - angular displacement, radians
τ - torque, N-m
E - energy or work, N-m

SteamKing said:
Since the telescope is rotating, the distance will be the angular displacement which occurs over that 5-sec. interval.

E = τ ⋅ θ

θ - angular displacement, radians
τ - torque, N-m
E - energy or work, N-m
How would I find the angular displacement? Would it just be multiplying the angular speed I found by 5 seconds?

reminiscent said:
How would I find the angular displacement? Would it just be multiplying the angular speed I found by 5 seconds?
No, because the telescope was undergoing a constant angular acceleration during that time.

Just like you can calculate the linear distance traveled while undergoing a linear acceleration, there are equivalent formulas to calculate the angular displacement made while undergoing angular displacement. These are the angular equivalents of the well-known SUVAT equations.

upload_2016-4-3_16-50-26.png

SteamKing said:
No, because the telescope was undergoing a constant angular acceleration during that time.

Just like you can calculate the linear distance traveled while undergoing a linear acceleration, there are equivalent formulas to calculate the angular displacement made while undergoing angular displacement. These are the angular equivalents of the well-known SUVAT equations.

Okay so I got for a) 0.00245 rad/s. For b), I got angular displacement as 0.006125 radians. I multiplied that by (18.0 N)(2.1 m) and I got 0.232 J. Is that correct?

reminiscent said:
Okay so I got for a) 0.00245 rad/s. For b), I got angular displacement as 0.006125 radians. I multiplied that by (18.0 N)(2.1 m) and I got 0.232 J. Is that correct?
These results look correct to me.

Related to Angular Speed/Torque Homework: Hubble Telescope | Answers Provided

What is Angular Speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

What is Torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that causes an object to rotate. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

How is Angular Speed related to Torque?

Angular speed and torque are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in angular speed will result in an increase in torque, and vice versa.

How is Angular Speed/Torque used in the Hubble Telescope?

The Hubble Telescope uses angular speed and torque to control its movements and keep it stable in space. The telescope's gyroscopes measure its angular speed and send signals to its reaction wheels, which use torque to adjust the telescope's orientation.

What factors affect Angular Speed/Torque in the Hubble Telescope?

There are several factors that can affect the angular speed and torque of the Hubble Telescope, including the mass and distribution of its components, external forces such as gravity and solar wind, and any mechanical issues or malfunctions within the telescope's systems.