Angular Momentum: Puck Spinning

In summary: The angular momentum of a particle is mvrIn summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the work done on a puck with a mass of 0.120 kg and an initial distance of 40.0 cm from the center of rotation, moving with a speed of 80.0 cm/s. The string attached to the puck is pulled downward 15.0 cm through a hole in a frictionless table. The conservation of angular momentum is used to calculate the final angular velocity of the puck, which is then used to calculate the change in kinetic energy. An error in the calculation is identified and corrected, resulting in a final answer of 5.99*10^-2.
minimario

Homework Statement

The puck in the figure shown below has a mass of 0.120 kg. Its original distance from the center of rotation is 40.0 cm, and it moves with a speed of 80.0 cm/s. The string is pulled downward 15.0 cm through the hole in the frictionless table. Determine the work done on the puck.

4gWOb2a.png

Homework Equations

## L = I \omega##
##KE = 1/2 \cdot I \cdot \omega^2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider angular momentum. Note it's conserved.

Therefore, ## \frac{1}{2}mr_i^2 \omega_i = \frac{1}{2} mr_f^2 \omega_f \Rightarrow r_i^2 \omega_i =r_f^2 \omega_f ##

Note that ##\omega_i = 80 cm/s = 2 rad/s## (because 2pi radians is one revolution, which is 80pi cm, so 1 radian is 40 cm)

Threrefore, ##0.40^2 \cdot 2 = 0.25^2 \cdot \omega_f \Rightarrow \omega_f = 5.12##

Note that Work Done is the change in kinetic energy. KE initial is equal to ## 1/2 (1/2 \cdot 0.12 \cdot 0.4*0.4) \cdot 2^2 ## (1/2 Iw^2 = 1/2 (1/2mr^2)w^2). KE final is simialrly equal to ## 1/2 (1/2 \cdot 0.12 \cdot 0.25 \cdot 0.25 \cdot 5.12^2##.

We can do the calculation, to get the change as 0.029952. But the book says answer is 5.99*10^-2.

What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
minimario said:
KE initial is equal to ## 1/2 (1/2 \cdot 0.12 \cdot 0.4*0.4) \cdot 2^2 ## (1/2 Iw^2 = 1/2 (1/2mr^2)w^2). KE final is simialrly equal to ## 1/2 (1/2 \cdot 0.12 \cdot 0.25 \cdot 0.25 \cdot 5.12^2##.
What's the (extra) factor of 1/2 for? (I see an extra one in both initial and final KE's)

You don't even need to bother with angular velocities. (You can solve it that way if you'd like, but it's redundant.) You can just use the angular momentum of a particle = mvr

minimario said:
##KE = 1/2 \cdot I \cdot \omega^2 ##

##\ldots##

Therefore, ## \frac{1}{2}mr_i^2 \omega_i = \frac{1}{2} mr_f^2 \omega_f \Rightarrow r_i^2 \omega_i =r_f^2 \omega_f ##

Do you see the discrepancy between the two quoted lines?

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
What's the (extra) factor of 1/2 for? (I see an extra one in both initial and final KE's)

You don't even need to bother with angular velocities. (You can solve it that way if you'd like, but it's redundant.) You can just use the angular momentum of a particle = mvr

How do you get that angular momentum of a particle = mvr

@tms, EDIT: No, the kinetic energy isn't being calculated there. That's the conservation of angular momentum, which is Iw.

FINAL EDIT: I see the problem now. Moment of inertia is mr^2, not 1/2 mr^2.

minimario said:
How do you get that angular momentum of a particle = mvr
Angular momentum of a particle equals Iω, but I=mr2, so the angular momentum is mωr2
Since, ωr=v, the angular velocity is mvr

Nathanael said:
Angular momentum of a particle equals Iω, but I=mr2, so the angular momentum is mωr2
Since, ωr=v, the angular velocity is mvr
You mean, the angular momentum is mvr, yes?

haruspex said:
You mean, the angular momentum is mvr, yes?
Oops! Mindless typo, thanks.

Related to Angular Momentum: Puck Spinning

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to puck spinning?

When a puck is spinning, it has angular momentum because it is rotating around its center of mass. The faster the puck spins, the greater its angular momentum will be.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a spinning puck?

The two main factors that affect the angular momentum of a spinning puck are its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. The shape, size, and mass distribution of the puck determine its moment of inertia, while the force applied to the puck determines its angular velocity.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a spinning puck?

Angular momentum is conserved in a spinning puck because there are no external forces acting on the puck to change its rotational motion. This means that the initial angular momentum of the puck will remain constant unless an external torque is applied.

5. How is angular momentum used in sports like ice hockey?

In sports like ice hockey, angular momentum is used to control the trajectory of a puck when it is shot or passed. Players can apply a torque to the puck to change its angular momentum and make it spin in a different direction, allowing them to manipulate the puck's path.