Angular momentum - Planet exercise

In summary: Your explanation makes perfect sense. I am glad that I read this post before trying to solve the problem. In summary, the problem asks for the ratio of initial and final angular momentum and kinetic energy for a star that doesn't change in mass, but the answer is found by solving for the angular momentum and kinetic energy of a sphere with the same mass as the star.
Curious2013

Homework Statement

Dear all,

This is my first post and I need some help. The exercise I am trying to solve is this one:

A star has a radius of 6 × 10^8 m and a period of rotation of 30 days. Eventually it becomes a neutron star with a radius of 10^4 m and a period of 0.1 s. If the mass has not changed, find the ratio of initial and final (a) angular momentum and (b) kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

I know that I must use for angular momentum L = Iω and for kinetic energy K = 1/2 Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia. I assumed the body geometry as a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made all the substitutions and in fact I got the right answers (Lini/Lfin = 139 and Kini/Kfin=5.4x10^-6). My question: in this exercise, why the angular momentum is not conserved? Can anybody provide some physical explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious2013 said:

Homework Statement

Dear all,

This is my first post and I need some help. The exercise I am trying to solve is this one:

A star has a radius of 6 × 10^8 m and a period of rotation of 30 days. Eventually it becomes a neutron star with a radius of 10^4 m and a period of 0.1 s. If the mass has not changed, find the ratio of initial and final (a) angular momentum and (b) kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

I know that I must use for angular momentum L = Iω and for kinetic energy K = 1/2 Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia. I assumed the body geometry as a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I made all the substitutions and in fact I got the right answers (Lini/Lfin = 139 and Kini/Kfin=5.4x10^-6). My question: in this exercise, why the angular momentum is not conserved? Can anybody provide some physical explanation?

Hi Curious2013; Welcome to Physics Forums.

The reason why you found angular momentum was not conserved is an artifact of the problem author's choice of initial and final conditions; you're given radii and periods of rotation without explanation of how they might be related; They might as well have been given for two entirely distinct and unrelated objects which happened to have the same mass. Besides, the problem makes no mention of the physics that has to occur to go from one state to the other -- physics that in "real life" would involve a nova event and ejection of a good chunk of mass and radiation, and interaction of enormous magnetic fields with the ejecta. Angular momentum is always conserved IF you can keep track of all the bits!

I suspect that this was intended to be more an exercise in setting up ratios and seeing how "missing values" and constants can cancel out to yield tidy simplifications, rather than a exploration of neutron star physics.

gneill said:
Hi Curious2013; Welcome to Physics Forums.

The reason why you found angular momentum was not conserved is an artifact of the problem author's choice of initial and final conditions; you're given radii and periods of rotation without explanation of how they might be related; They might as well have been given for two entirely distinct and unrelated objects which happened to have the same mass. Besides, the problem makes no mention of the physics that has to occur to go from one state to the other -- physics that in "real life" would involve a nova event and ejection of a good chunk of mass and radiation, and interaction of enormous magnetic fields with the ejecta. Angular momentum is always conserved IF you can keep track of all the bits!

I suspect that this was intended to be more an exercise in setting up ratios and seeing how "missing values" and constants can cancel out to yield tidy simplifications, rather than a exploration of neutron star physics.

Dear gneill

Thanks for the reply!

Related to Angular momentum - Planet exercise

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a system. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its mass distribution) and its angular velocity (a measure of how quickly it is rotating).

2. How is angular momentum related to planets?

In the context of planets, angular momentum is important because it is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun. As the planet moves around the sun, it is constantly changing direction, which means it has angular velocity. This angular velocity, combined with the planet's mass distribution, gives it angular momentum.

3. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to planets?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of planets, this means that their angular momentum will remain constant as long as there is no external force acting on them, such as the gravitational pull of another planet.

4. How does changing the mass or distance of a planet affect its angular momentum?

If the mass of a planet is increased, its moment of inertia will also increase, resulting in a higher angular momentum. Similarly, if the distance between a planet and the sun is increased, its angular velocity will decrease, resulting in a lower angular momentum. However, the total angular momentum of the planet will remain constant.

5. How is angular momentum useful for understanding the stability of planetary orbits?

By understanding the concept of angular momentum, we can better understand the stability of planetary orbits. If a planet's angular momentum remains constant, then its orbit will also remain stable. If there is a change in the planet's angular momentum, either due to external forces or changes in mass or distance, the orbit may become unstable and the planet could either collide with another object or be ejected from its orbit.